I ❤ Cardiff - Work life balance

By Gem - 11:30:00

I may be a bit biased because I've lived here and work here but Cardiff really is a great place to live and work. You don't need to take my word for it because this article over on the Twinings Infusions content portal on Huffington Post backs me up. 'London might boast the highest salaries but the pricey cost of living in the capital means that Londoners do worse on disposable income than elsewhere.' Other important factors are workplace equality, transport links, job satisfaction and the quality of work on offer. London might be exciting but people looking for a work life balance and a good quality of living might want to head elsewhere.

DSC_0310

Cardiff is the best UK city for young adults because of its low cost of living, good job opportunities and decent wages. According to a recent study, it’s the best place in Britain to live and work for those starting out in the big bad world of employment. The report, found that younger workers got more job satisfaction from employment in Cardiff than in any other city in the UK. An impressive 70% said they love their job, and the same percentage said they feel that they have a good work-life balance.

I'm very lucky to have a secure public sector job because there are so many universities and government jobs in the area and I also get to have the coast, a city and a national park all within an hours drive.

DSC_0323

Isn't Cardiff pretty? I spend my lunch breaks in this park.

Cardiff Castle
Even though life in South Wales makes me very happy I still feel like I have so much to do but not enough time. Between working full time, spending time with friends, my boyfriend and blogging I can get a little run down. I'm always on my phone, replying to emails and trying to keep up with the news, the latest must-see TV show etc Balance is key and saying no to work out of hours and extra projects is a must for me.

It's really important to me that I see all my friends regularly and enjoying a quiet night in with them, some tasty food and a fun game last week was my idea of heaven.

DSC_0651

Jack rustled up some amazing tapas.
DSC_0649

Our brains need a break to produce innovative ideas, time with friends and no smartphone can be just what the doctor ordered. Be present. When you are with family or friends be fully there — in spirit as well as in body. No zoning out thinking about work or checking twitter. This is easier said than done and I know I'm guilty of tweeting and taking instagram photos in the middle of a fun day when sometimes it's better to just enjoy it.

DSC_0653

DSC_0661

DSC_0669

Recharging is not a luxury, something to enjoy after the work is done. It is fuel for your productivity. Take time to recharge your brain, batteries and mojo, and you’ll find you get more done and do your best work.

*collaborative post

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. I ♡ cardiff everyone is so lovely and friendly there. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only been to Cardiff once but I loved it, such a pretty place. I'm sure there is more to see, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard a lot of amazing things about Cardiff, but I have still never been. I must go this summer.

    Dannii - www.hungryhealthyhappy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your blog! So glad I came across it, I'm just over the bridge in Bristol! :) x
    http://www.tigerlillyquinn.com x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just got back from Cardiff, I really enjoyed it. I could never leave London though haha.
    Love the pictures, Cardiff is really beautiful. When the weather is decent.
    The Life of Leeshastarr

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Cardiff. I try ans visit at least once a year. Looking forward to a big Welsh road trip later this year.

    www.feelingstylish.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pictures (and food too!) I live in North Wales but I've never been to Cardiff

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to go! Mainly so I can hunt down Carley, Natalee, and Leticia from the valleys and MAKE them take me to Glam!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I struggle to get enough 'recharging time', there is always something that I need to be doing :/
    I'd love to visit Cardiff, it sounds like a lovely city x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wooh Cardiff!! <3 I have always lived by this 'I work to live not live to work' :) it's just a bonus to enjoy your job, living life is what it's all about! xx
    BloglovinTwitter

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.