Dorset Holiday - Swanage Railway and Corfe Castle

By Gem - 10:52:00

I posted some photos from the first day on my holiday a few days ago but I've still got plenty that I want to share. These photos were all taken on the Sunday when Martyn and I headed to Corfe Castle on the Swange Steam Railway.

DSC_0438

DSC_0442

The line from Swanage to Corfe Castle was closed in the 70s but a group of enthusiasts have worked hard to re-lay the tracks and restore the train stations along this line. You can read more about the history of the line here. The train engine we had that day actually came from South Wales and used to transport coal from the pits to Barry Docks.

a picture of a steam train on swanage railway line

Towering over Corfe Castle station were the magnificent ruins of Corfe Castle, it was certainly an impressive sight. One of my favourite views appeared on my old commuter line, the Rhymney Valley line. I loved leaving Aber station and being able to see wonderful views of Caerphilly Castle and this reminded me of that.

DSC_0471

Corfe Castle was built by William the Conqueror, the castle dates back to the 11th century. It was one of the first to be built of stone instead of wood. In 1572 Elizabeth I sold the castle to Sir Christopher Hatton and Lady Mary Bankes, led the defence of the castle when it was twice besieged by Parliamentarian forces in 1643 and 1645. In March 1645 Corfe Castle was demolished on Parliament's orders and it is now owned by the National Trust.

A picture of corfe castle

A picture of corfe castle
DSC_0485

The ruins were beautiful as was the surrounding town but the rain and wind meant that we couldn't take the long walk that we planned. We headed back on the steam train from Corfe Castle to Swanage and had an early night with plenty of pulled pork, tea and a good film. My pulled pork was lovely but using the holiday let oven which was super hot meant that the outside didn't fall apart as much as I had hoped but it still tasted divine.

DSC_0552
I would love to head back to Corfe Castle on a sunny day to explore a little more and take my time.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. I love Swanage!! Off for the weekend in a fortnight, very excited!! Looks like you had a lovely time and your pulled pork is making me drool!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trains and a castle in one post - my kind of post indeed! Looks like a great visit even with the poor weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Corfe Castle, went there when I was younger....if you're into castles...try and get to Ludlow one day, that's pretty cool and nice place to wander round to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow this place looks so beautiful and the vintage railway is awesome - great photos, would love to visit here :)

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the railways pics looks amazing .x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This place looks amazing. My son is obsessed with William The Conqueror - I think this might be one for us to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. can i first say i absolutly love the title of the ticket, freedom of the line'' love the post hun , great pics x

    ReplyDelete
  8. How have I never heard of Corfe Castle before, it looks wonderful! Where about in the country are you? shame about the pulled pork, I've actually gone off it off late, making me feel very sickly now. too much of it probably.

    Thank you for the comment you left on my fitness post. That's a shame but you can make small steps to go back again, unless you're happy then no need! Pinterest is just ace for everything.

    Mat @ Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks amazing, it sounds like you had the most perfect holiday!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like just the sort of place me and Liam would love to explore. Sorry about the rain - you'll just have to go back :) <3 Claire @ Jazzpad

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.