Banana & Walnut Loaf Recipe

By Gem - 10:14:00

After a rather stressful couple of weeks I was glad to have a weekend at home, lounging about in my PJs and spending some quality time with my mum. I'm usually in some other UK city at the weekend or spending time with my friends or boyfriend so it was nice to bond with my mum and snuggle up with the dog. Spending hours getting dressed up and staying out until 4am just isn't my style anymore and in a recent survey by Ladbrokes Bingo 70% of women said they preferred a night in with the girls to a night on the town so I know a few of you feel the same way as me. 

After baking a few weeks ago I wanted to try something a little more challenging so my mum suggested we bake an old family favourite, banana and walnut loaf.

This cake is perfect for morning or afternoon tea. It's light and moist and very easy to make. For the  best results, make sure the bananas are overripe. For me this cake is a great comfort food and I serve it with a little butter spread on top.


DSC_0401

Ingredients

  • 100g butter or stork, at room temperature
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 225g self-raising flour
  • 2 large bananas
  • 100g sultanas
  • 50g walnut pieces, roughly chopped
  • a pinch of mixed spice (optional)
I used half of this amount because I only have a small loaf tin.

Instructions


  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160 fan. Line a loaf tin with baking parchment or grease and dust with flour if you don't have any. 
  2. In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric hand whisk until pale, light, and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and add a tablespoon of the flour after each one. This will stop the mixture curdling.
  3. Peel and mash the bananas in a small bowl with a fork, then stir into the loaf mixture, along with the sultanas and walnuts. Fold in the remaining flour, then spoon the mixture into the tin. Smooth the top, pressing well into the corners. 
  4. Bake for 1 hour/1 hour 15 minutes, or until risen and firm to the touch. If the top of the cake starts to brown too much before it is fully cooked, cover with foil. Leave to cool on a cooling rack then cut into slices.
(I once made this whilst at uni, I didn't have a whisk and couldn't be bothered with folding things in. I put all the ingredients in a bowl and mixed it with a wooden spoon. It still tasted nice but didn't rise as nicely.)

DSC_0391

I want to bake a few more cakes when I have some time off over Christmas. I'm definitely going to make this yule log but do you have any other suggestions for me?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Ah I do love any cakes with banana in them. This is one for my list! Can't beat a bit of carrot cake Gem!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. mm this looks yum! I'm not really one for big nights out anymore either x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can never go wrong with a banana loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to try this, I really have to try hehe :)

    The Vanadiere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm this looks lovely, Banana cake is on my list of things to bake but I never have the bananas to do them, tomorrow I will buy some and leave out of reach from the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, I love banana loaf! This variation looks particularly tasty :)

    Louise x

    Confessions of a Secret Shopper

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love banana bread! the smell while it is cooking is divine! Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.