Fluffy American pancake recipe

By Gem - 11:14:00

You can't go wrong with the classic crêpe served with lemon and sugar but I fancied doing something a little different for pancake day this year. These fluffy and light American style ones are a firm favourite in my house but we keep them for special occasions. I wish I could eat a huge stack of pancakes for breakfast everyday but I don't think my body could cope with the obscene amount of maple syrup I pour on the top of mine.

If you want to try making these yourself just follow the simple instructions below.


You will need:


1 tablespoon baking powder
1 pinch of salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
2 large eggs (beaten)
30 grams butter (melted and cooled)
300 ml milk
225 grams plain flour
butter for frying

Super straightforward method:


  • Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar into a large bowl.

  • Pour the milk, eggs and butter into the flour mixture and, using a whisk, beat until you have a smooth batter. If it's lumpy keep on whisking it. It will seem really thick but that's what we're looking for. Let the batter stand for a few minutes.

  • Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add a knob of butter. When it's melted, add a ladle of batter. I add two/three because my pan is big and it means I can cook a few at the same time.  Wait until the top of the pancake begins to bubble, then turn it over and cook until both sides are golden brown and the pancake has risen to about 1cm (½in) thick.

  • Repeat until all the batter is used up. You can keep the pancakes warm in a low oven, but they taste best fresh out the pan. Once I had roughly used half of my batter I tipped in a tub of M&S Belgian Chocolate chunks so I had some plain pancakes and some with gooey chocolate in the middle.

Serve with lashings of whatever takes your fancy and enjoy. I topped mine with strawberries and flaked almonds and Martyn had chocolate chip pancakes with chocolate sauce. These would be great for a weekend breakfast treat served with maple syrup and crispy bacon


 I hope I've inspired you to try something new. What type of pancakes will you be having tonight?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. I wish I could gobble these up right now Gem!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, these look amazing! Not sure the hubby would approve though, he's a sucker for the crepe style ones with lemon & sugar - personally, I'll be having the same as him, but with golden syrup instead, NOM!

    Georgina
    www.makeup-pixi3.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of sweet pancakes - I always have cheese/boursain on my pancakes x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum. I should probably be avoiding recipes like this for the time being; have decided to give up sugar for Lent. Argh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this recipe! I didn't have chance to make pancakes for pancake day so I'm going to make some today or tomorrow. I usually make crepes but I absolutely love American style pancakes so I bet these are delicious too and I'll definitely give your recipe a try. I always cover mine with maple syrup too, it's the best way! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look gorgeous Gem, I tend to do mine nice and thin but am very tempted to give these a go.
    I cheated this year and bought ready made pancakes, my feet swell nowadays so the thought of standing up tossing pancakes didn't appeal! I had one with lemon & sugar and another with Nutella :)

    Leanne - A Slice of My Life

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.