New House Update

By Gem - 18:00:00

Just a little update on my house renovation. You might find this rather dull but after living in this dump since June things are finally starting to come together and we have plastered walls, doors and an oven!! Woohooo. It is starting to feel more like a home. I have used my time off from work over Christmas wisely and have made a start on my bedroom, painted some furniture and got a lot of my possessions out of storage and into my new cupboards.

The previous occupants of my house left this wardrobe here when they moved and I stopped my mum putting it on the skip. It has been sanded, given a lick of paint and I think it looks pretty good.


I used the same paint for my bedside cupboard. I bought this in a charity shop in July for £1 and with a bit of sprucing up it looks very pretty. I replaced the old handles with new ones from dotcomgiftshop which were £2.95 each. So my wardrobe and bedside table only cost about £25 with the new handles and paint, bargain!!


I picked this table up in TK Maxx for £50 and the mirror was £12.99. The box and frame were only about £2 each from Store Twenty One and the pink glass dressing table set was about £7 in a chairty shop a year ago.

Still no skirting board though, staring to drive me insane.

This is what my room looked like a few months ago once we had ripped the old plaster down, grim.

I've now got a lovely en suite with a shower which means no more baths with a jug to wash my hair, feels so good.



For those of you with no interest in DIY, I picked up this brooch and bracelet in the Accessorize sale last week.


There is still a lot to do in my room like the floor, painting the bathroom again and finishing touches but it is a lot nicer than it was even a few weeks ago. My mums boyfriend is doing most of the work on the house for free in his spare time so progress is slow but it will be amazing when it is all finished.

Have you done any home improvements recently? Before we moved here the most I had ever done was put some fairy lights up in my uni house!

I have some things for sale on eBay, would be love people to buy things so I can buy a rug and skirting board ;)

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

29 comments

  1. awesome!
    i love seeing interiors, especially befores and afters!
    loving the matching wardrobe and bedside cabinet :)
    Rosie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how fab, I love the fact you've created a French Shabby chic interior, it's so effective!
    Looks great!

    dp
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh it's looking gorgey! Check out your awesome DIY skills ;) I definitely need to do more DIY stuff this year. I love your charity shop finds too - that bedside table looks immense :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you've done to the wardrobe and your bedside cabinet! So glad you didn't throw the wardrobe out - love the detailing in the corners! We've been making our apartment more homely [from being a bachelor pad] but it's just filled with ikea things - I don't think we'll be going down the vintage furniture line till we get a bigger place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's looking amazing! I love all your little homely touches!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow doesnt all the DIY on your furniture look great! littlest things like paint can make such a difference! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Slow and steady wins the race! Love what you've done so far - that little cupboard is unrecognisable! Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its coming along so well! I love how you renovated the wardrobe and the cupboard. They look great now x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its coming along so well! I love how you renovated the wardrobe and the cupboard. They look great now x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh it must be so lovely having your bathroom finally finished! I know your pain! I had no washing facilities at all in my house for about a month when I first moved in - I was literally washing in a bucket in the kitchen and driving to my parents for a real shower every other day. Gross.
    The renovated wardrobe and bedside table look lovely :) Great job!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so lovely - well done! I love what you have done with your furniture :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow what an amazing transformation! That pink glass set really is just so stunning too xx
    Ella @ Belle Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely understand your frustration over the skirting board issue! My bf and I are currently renovating our living room and we've had no skirting boards on for about 4 months now.

    Our progress is being held up by the building of some new 'made to measure' bookcases, which are going either side of the fireplace. My bf's dad is building them in his free time each Sunday so it's taking quite some time!

    I know that it will be worth it in the end though, when I can finally sit down on the new sofa and look at all our hard work and know that it's what we've made together.

    We then have.. the hallway, the landing, the kitchen, the bathroom, the dining room, the 2 spare rooms, the porch and under the stairs to renovate.. I've already got a headache just thinking about it!

    Love your wardrobe and vintage dressing table set! Keep the interior posts coming, I really enjoy them! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's great to see some progress on your house! You definitely did right rescuing that wardrobe, it's a beauty and you can always rely on TK Maxx for a good furniture fix :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love befores and afters and this is amazing! I love the painting of the wardrobe and bedside table, looks gorgeous :) will be even better with a rug and a skirting board as you say xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a transformation! It looks great :) I love the new life you gave to the wardrobe and bed side table xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how you have restored the furniture...we are currently re-doing our downstairs WC and the dust is driving me round the bend!!

    Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,

    Love your DIY furniture!

    I've given you a blog award!
    Head over to my blog to find out more.

    Happy New year hun x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Its looking so lovely in the after pictures! I always admire someone that can do d-i-y and making over furniture....its a skill I dont possess!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on the house coming together! I know how frustrating it can be living in a place that feels disorganized and in need of repairs but every little step means progress! It's exciting watching things come together. You've done a great job thus far and I'm sure you will continue to do a great job!

    I love the brooch in the last picture, just stunning.

    <3Honeysuckelle

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous wardrobe, the little TK Maxx table goes really well with it too. We did our dining room last year, still looking for the finishing touches though. And we are sprucing up the living room. Will post pics when lm finished. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. It sounds like it's all coming together, it must be nice to see all the hard work paying off! I love the dressing table you chose and the DIY furniture looks brilliant. The bedside table looks so different now!

    Gillian x
    elevatormusik.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love DIY things like this and you have done a fantastic job so far, can't wait to see what it looks like when it's finished! :D

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love DIYs like this! Painting furniture is a fab way to jazz things up. I bet you must be so pleased you have a proper bathroom now! We were lucky and didn't have to do anything to our bathroom, don't know how I would have coped. I'd like to update it in a few months/years maybe but not sure I can face the hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love what you've done to the wardrobe and your bedside cabinet! So glad you didn't throw the wardrobe out - love the detailing in the corners! We've been making our apartment more homely [from being a bachelor pad] but it's just filled with ikea things - I don't think we'll be going down the vintage furniture line till we get a bigger place.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your house is looking great now. I love what you did on the entire interiors. The bathroom looks very compelling too. By the way, did you do some renovation outside your house? If so, then I'm sure you've installed a temporary fence to secure the place. Anyway, I look forward to seeing the finished and renovated home.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.