My home - Before and After

By Gem - 14:00:00

We have been renovating my house for over two years now which has been a slow and painful process. My mum and her partner have done all the work themselves whilst holding down full time jobs which is why it has taken so long. After my parents split we moved to a horrid house that was owned by an old lady, had a weird smell and ugly carpets after living in a nice new house that didn't smell and had neutral carpets. It was quite the culture shock. The downstairs is now about 90% finished and we just need finishing touches like coving and a handrail up the stairs.

The following photos are of my family room/living space which comprises of a kitchen and living room. We have a more formal sitting room at the front of the house and a utility room at the back of the kitchen for all of our appliances. You can see some other posts about some other rooms and progress here

There really want a kitchen before we moved into the house, the old lady had a couple of units, a sink and a cooker in the small utility room out the back but there were no fitted units at all!

Before

SANY2635

The living room and kitchen were separated by a long, dark corridor which we knocked down and we are now left with one big open plan space. It was hard to try and capture this in a photo.

IMG_1762

I picked up the lovely silver cushions at the Next event last week and they match the curtains perfectly.

IMG_1764

Can you see what I was watching on TV? I love the wallpaper here, we were going to go with a bold print but I'm glad we with with a neutral grey. It has some fine silver stripes running through it, so nice up close.

living room, diffuser

My lovely Fiji diffuser from Next which fills the room with a lovely and summery coconut scent.

  IMG_1760

The place mats were sale bargain in Wilkinsons, the tumblers are from Next and the lovely purple vase in the middle was a charity shop find.

IMG_2358

My lovely Sherlock themed Baker Street sign c/o Out There Interiors

IMG_1757

Sookie! We got the kitchen units and granite sink for a bargain price from Focus DIY when it went into administration a few years ago along with the bathroom suite.The bathroom had a total transformation, the green carpet tiles and bathroom suite are long gone and have been replaced with white and natural shades. We changed the layout completely and it works so much better now. All that's left to do in the bathroom is find a shower screen and some art for the wall.

bathroom before and after renovation
Spending time at home is much more pleasurable now that the work is coming to an end and I'm really enjoying hunting for some finishing touches to make my house a home. It's my family home so the decor isn't to my taste, my room is a mix of old furniture, records and books everywhere with clothes flowing out of all of my cupboard but my family prefer a more modern and streamline look. 

I would love some links to places that sell unusual and unique accessories for the home, any suggestions?


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

25 comments

  1. Love it, looks fab :) I love blog posts like this xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a transformation, I love the bathroom xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the before and after pictures, it looks so much better now :)

    Georgina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I love the rug in the lounge, where is that from? My parents have a very similar colour scheme in their lounge and id love to get that rug for them! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was from a little local shop, they don't have a website I just had a little look for you x

      Delete
    2. Awhh bless you, thank you! xx

      Delete
  5. Bouf is a great website for homeware http://www.bouf.com/

    It's lovely to see your home coming together :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it looks lovely. I love home interior posts. I have just moved into my own place with my boyfriend and were trying to make it our home too so seeing posts like this help. Though we can't do as much as were renting but we are trying. H&M have some really cute (and reasonably priced) home wear pieces. Plus ebay, I'm forever searching for home accessories on there!

    chelseyxlou.blogspot.co.uk xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always forget about H&M, wish they did homeware in my local store x

      Delete
  7. It looks amazing! I love Next for Homeware, Laura Ashley and Urban Outfitters have some really cute home accessories too :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks beautiful! I would kill for a kitchen like that (complete with adorable dog, please?) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It takes a while to hunt through for a bargain but I love Amazon for buying homeware. Your house looks lovely though, I know how much difference just changing one or two rooms at a time can make!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your family have done such a good job at changing everything around and making it really lovely. I'm always asking my parents to redecorate but they don't take the hints well so I'll just have to wait until I have my own home to spread my creativity in (: xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous - we're house hunting for our first house atm so its great to see what work at be done yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yous have done it up so beautifully, while still keeping it so modern! I love the velvet look purple chair in the living room, so pretty!

    A little bit Unique - Blog // Facebook // Bloglovin



    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we picked that up in a bootsale, it was red leather and we had it recovered. Bargain!

      Delete
  13. Ah it looks amazing!! Well done for all the hard work...it really has paid off and you have a lovely home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Doesn't it look snug! You've done a fantastic job, does Sookie like it? Can't wait to visit ;) <3 Claire @ Jazzpad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome to stay anytime, I would suggest not wearing black though, golden labs are a nightmare ;)

      Delete
  15. Aw your home is so so lovely :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm really impressed with your writing talents and also with the layout to your blog. Is that this a paid subject matter or did you customize it your self? Either way keep up the nice high quality writing, it is uncommon to see a nice blog like this one these days..

    Here is my webpage fake ray bans

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow you've all done such a great job, it looks like a different house! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your house is beautiful, it looks lovely and relaxing!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. The transformation is amazing!
    Nice job :) <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.