I'm going missing for a while

By Gem - 13:29:00

If I could take my dog with me I think I would relocate to Manchester. It really has become my favourite place in the UK to visit. I envy anyone who lives there, such a great city.  I've been a few times now but this time I took my best friend Laura up with me for three days of cake eating and shopping.

IMG_0582

After a delayed train and dragging my case to the hotel me and Laura headed towards the city centre for some food and shopping. I was supposed to be shopping for Christmas presents but bought myself a dress for an interview next week, a stila brush set and a few new jumpers. Oops. I hate only going to chain stores and restaurants when I go away so to balance out food at Wagamamas I headed to Trof in the Northern Quarter for an open mic night and unusual cocktails. It was great to meet some interesting locals including a guy called Krazy Horse who has his own fact sheet, very odd!

IMG_0585

IMG_0586

The next day I headed back to the Northern Quarter to meet the very lovely Danielle for tea and cake.
I always assumed I wouldn't be able to meet Danielle because she lived so far away and I'm so glad I suggested a little meet up on twitter. If you've ever wanted to meet an online chum but are apprehensive I would say just go for it. I think Danielle is the Northern me and I wish she lived closer so we could hang out more. I suppose I will just have to take more journeys up North and I hope Danielle will show me  the sights of Blackpool sometime.

IMG_0591

Laura had this gorgeous lemon, poppy seed and white chocolate cake (I nicked one of her choccy straws) I opted for flourless chocolate cake which was also amazing.

IMG_0590

This place was so good, I highly recommend it because not only was the cake was amazing the waiter was also pretty tasty too ;) (he was wasn't he Danielle?)

IMG_0593

After too much cake I took Laura to my favourite museum in the UK, the People's History Museum. The People’s History Museum derives its origin from the Trade Union, Labour and Co-operative History Society and as a former history student and member of the Labour party I just can't get enough of this place. It charts people's struggle for rights and has some beautiful historic trade union and political banners.

IMG_0594

Me outside the John Rylands library on Deansgate.

IMG_0605

The main purpose of our visit was to see Maximo Park play at the Ritz so we headed back to the hotel for a disco nap (does anyone else say disco nap?) and got ready for our night out.

IMG_0606

IMG_0613

Maximo Park were the best I've ever seen them and played the perfect set with plenty of old songs and all my favourite new ones. Paul Smith has such an amazing stage presence and they seem like such a genuine band. I love how they play proper guitar music and Paul Smith is such a poet. How people can listen to dubstep is beyond me when bands like Maximo Park exist. Basically, I want it to ne 2003-8 again, I had the best time going to loads of gigs then. I also got to meet another blogger at the gig called Rosie and she is hilarious. She loves Ed Sheeran as much as I love Dr Who and never fails to make me laugh on twitter.


IMG_0617

I headed on to a dodgy metal/biker pub after the gig and went on to a really cheap indie night and drank a few too many £1 drinks and chatted to some locals. Mancs are really friendly! I left Manchester the next day hungover but very happy. I'm already planning my next trip there in the new year.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

20 comments

  1. I really really want that poppy seed and white chocolate cake - getting cravings now!!
    LaceyLoves x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks amazing, I am so hungry! I am going to visit my siter in Machester soon, I have always wanted to go and never been!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maximo Park are great aren't they? I managed to see them twice in their hometown of Newcastle when I was a student up their, plus I saw Paul Smith at a graduation once - oddly enough. Great to see they are still on the go - totally takes me back to 2006 though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aaw really? might have been one of his relatives? Their new album is jsut as good as their first which I adore x

      Delete
  4. I can't believe you were at that concert- so was I! It was so good, I've loved Maximo Park since I was 15 but I'm never managed to see them live since they never seem to come past Bristol, but the wait was definitely worth it! One thing though, I was in the third row back on the right of the centre, and there was a girl in front of me who had the biggest bag ever with her and didn't even dance, she just stood there taking pictures! So annoying! I was also in Manchester the week before last for some other concerts (the good points of having a sister studying there!) and went to an amazing 60s dance night called Revolver, really recommend going to that next time you're there! The Nexus Art Cafe is also amazing. Saying that, that cake looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to see Kate Nash a few days before you too, we have similar tastes :) I saw something about Revolver, think it is on a Monday? x

      Delete
  5. I live in Manchester and usually no one has a nice word to say about it so thank you! I love living here. Didn't really know how much I'd miss it until I moved to Spain for 6 months. Now I appreciate it even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, everyone is always so nice there. Met so many nice people out after the gig and there is loads to do there. Be proud of your city :) xx

      Delete
  6. I've never been to Manchester but you've made me want to go. Looks like you had a great time. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Dani is the northern you! Haha =) glad you had a great time, I love Manchester too xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the last photo, Paul smith is fine, especially in his tight pants :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't ever thought about him like that before! He's in a band which makes him 50% hotter (well known fact) but he's been working out. Phwoar xx

      Delete
  9. Wow, the tea and cake looks so yummy! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh that sounds like a fun weekend, I love Manchester too and Trof is one of my favourite places up there, as well as a few other cool bars in the Northern Quarter :)

    allaboutthegirlblog.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww I love that you love Manchester! I may be biased but it's my favourite city and I always consider myself very lucky that I get to live here.

    Teacup is immense but I've never had that lemon cake! It's on my list!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the flourless chocolate was amazing too! Really craving some now x

      Delete
  12. Hi Gem, thanks for the comment on y blog, I'll look up the facebook group you mentioned! thanks Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh next time you come up let me know! I'd love to meet up :) Teacup is ace isn't it? I was in Manchester at the weekend for a library event and it made me really miss it cos I used to go shopping there lots when I was a teenager. Definitely need to sort out a Christmas shopping trip - the Christmas market is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well it looks like you've been having a great time up there. Don't leave us for long though!
    Daisy Dayz
    Cross-Jones-Photography

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you had a great time. I have lived in manchester for going on 6 years now and I still love it. That cake looks amazing. And I don't suppose the pub you went to after the gig was called grand central was it? That description sounds familiar, lol :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.