Glasses: To embrace or avoid?

By Gem - 11:15:00

SANY5542

This year's autumn/winter catwalks are encouraging us to take a closer look at glasses, and to embrace them as a valuable addition to our outfits. The latest ensembles from Paul Smith, MaxMara and Marc Jacobs were all topped off with a good helping of specs-appeal, but I have to admit I'm not totally convinced. I believe there is a lot to be said for places like Ultralase, who offer would-be glasses wearers the chance to keep their faces frame-free! But I'm always willing to give a trend a fair run...


I like the idea put forward in Vogue, that you can have fun matching your make-up to your glasses; I mean, I'll take any excuse to buy some new beauty goodies, but I'll need a bit more persuading that four eyes are better than two before I rush out and spend a fortune on designer frames.


So I looked out for some glasses-wearing celebs to lead me along this somewhat untraveled road. First to crop up was the stunning Myleene Klass, who, I have to admit, does pull off her black frames with style. Abigail Spencer's ultra-geek glasses are another story. With such a pretty, petite face, why hide behind something of such excessive proportions?!



Looking at pictures of her, along with some ridiculous ones of JustinBieber in huge white frames - purely for comedy value - it's clear you have to be careful to match your look with your frames, or they could completely over power you.

I never wear my glasses in public, I've always felt a little uncomfortable in them. Do you prefer to be bold with your choice of frames or go without?



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. You look amazing in glasses! Definitely embrace them if people look as good as you do in them! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....I think we have the same frames in different colours, haha. I embrace my glasses when I need them. Otherwise, I'd be stuck cause there's no way in hell I'm letting anyone laser my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly, you look fab! Bit jealous here. I hate wearing my glasses but I can't drive without them and I can't see distances so people sometimes blur if they're talking to me from a certain distance. Not fun but sometimes I just put up with going cross eyed at times because I hate the way I look in them. :P That's awful really - I need to start embracing the look. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also a glasses wearer but only at home :). Mainly because I work out in the mornings and like to wear contacts then. You look great in yours and should give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great on you! I can't the same about Abigail Spencer I'm afraid! x
    http://www.shelovesoutfits.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been meaning to buy a new pair since last summer! Ughh, so expensive though :( You look rad in yours though, I bet Faris wouldn't be able to say no ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Embrace! I think you look cute. I only wear glasses for reading, but they are big obnoxious thick rimmed things. I like them. I associate them with reading and enjoy getting them out and putting them on, it's all part of the ritual of sitting down to read seriously (I can see well enough to read without them, I just get headaches if I do it for a long time).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Embrace the frames girl seriously! I'm as glasses wearer and don't really care what people think about them - I don't understand why people don't like wearing them to be honest. Yours really suit you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Embrace!!I wear both glasses and contact lenses but for ages I only wore glasses and loved them because I was so different to everyone else who preferred contacts (: Yours really suit you so get them on more! (: I totally agree though that some celebrities just look ridiculous with oversized frames they think are fashionable. Definitely a case of finding ones which fit your face. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look great in glasses! I am short sighted and have 3 pairs but only wear them when I have to. My false lashes hit the lenses!xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Embrace them I say! Your glasses really suit you :)

    Caroline x
    Caroline's Catwalk

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think they look lovely! If you need them, wear them I say!
    I don't really get it when people wear frames with no lenses, it looks silly. However there's no reason prescription glasses can't look awesome, and I think yours really suit you :)
    xx
    emsipop.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you look lovely in your glasses, they really suit you! I don't wear mine because luckily I have a weak prescription but I just can't get used to them!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. EMBRACE! Your glasses really suit you, and I guess it's easy to say because I don't have glasses but I'd like to think if I wore them it would just be another accessory to dress with :) and if you have the option of contacts, you could always do half an half? ♥ Claire @ Jazzpad

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.