Shalimar

By Gem - 19:40:00

Don't normally write posts like this but I found it rather interesting...

I really wanted to try the perfume Shalimar since watching the documentary , Perfume on BBC4 a while back. I found it's history really interetsing and I did a little bit more research in to in. Popular for 90 years, Shalimar was created in 1921 and re-released in 1925 in a bottle designed by Raymond Guerlain. Apparently Shalimar was created when Jacques Guerlain added vanilla to to Jicky (another Guerlain perfume), just to see what would happen and the result was Shalimar.
Jacques Guerlain was inspired by Mumtaz-Mahal, the woman for whom the Taj Mahal was built.
Indian Emperor Shah Jahan's love for Mumtaz-Mahal, his favourite wife, was so great that he built her the Garden of Shalimar in Lahore (and indeed, the Taj Mahal). Shalimar means the 'Abode of Love' in Sanskrit.

While browsing the internet to find out more about Shalimar I found all these gorgeous images that have been used to advertise the perfume over the years, I love the progression.



In the 1950s, the illustrations created for Shalimar were by some of the major illustrators of the day, such as Lyse Darcy and Cassandre.

source


The perfume is a really odd, but odd in a good way. I'm always lured in by pretty bottles and like something light and floral for the day but this perfume is perfect for the night as it is more heavy and warm. It has notes of bergamot, lemon, jasmine, rose, iris and vanilla. I have the fragrance Shalimar Initial which has the jasmine removed and is slightly more subtle, I think it might be aimed at a younger audience who will then mature to wear the original Shalimar.


What do you look for in a perfume and what are your favourites? I wear Britney perfume all the time even though its a bit cheep and cheerful, I love it. (Not just because I'm a huge Stan/Britard). I really like Vivienne Westwood - Naughty Alice and I'm getting Trésor Midnight Rose for Christmas which smells of raspberries mmm.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I love the bottle! I generally tend to pick ones which come in pretty packages!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love woody/musky/spicy scents, and vanilla. I prefer exotic scents that knock men dead at 10 paces :) I'm not too keen on very girly scents. Hypnotic Poison by Dior is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really intrigued by this perfume now, I love perfumes that smell a bit different to the usual floraly scents.
    My favourite perfumes are J Lo Glow After Dark and Bvlgari Pour Femme (which I think smells a bit like parma violets, not to everyone's taste but I love it!)

    Gillian x
    elevatormusik.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. how interesting! i love givenchy hot couture it was big in the late 90's and is kinda hard to get now and also daisy by marc jacobs :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.