Pen y Fan - Brecon

By Gem - 17:58:00

Pen y Fan is 886 metres high – the highest point in southern Britain and the Brecon Beacons National Park. The prospect of walking up was a little scary because I'm so unfit. The last time I walked up here was a as a child on a school trip so I was looking forward to heading up again. My boyfriend is being supportive of me trying to be more active and healthy so suggested this as an activity we could do together.

If you want to walk this route take a look at this National Trust route for detailed instructions, this is the route I took and I think it is a little easier than the one which starts at the Storey Arms. It's around 4 miles long and will take you about 2.5 hours to complete.

DSC_0403

The weather looked lovely as we headed off but as soon as we got a little way up the mountain it took a turn for the worse. It was misty and icy cold so don't head up without being prepared. You need supportive footwear, I have a pair of Hi-Tec hiking shoes with ankle support which are great for this kind of walk. You also need lots of light layers and a waterproof jacket because the weather can be so changeable.

As you can see we had a little snow and mist on the way up but it was rather beautiful, the first snow I've seen in months.

DSC_0410

There were points on the way to the top where I wished I was back in my cosy bed drinking tea but when we reached the summit I was so glad I pushed myself.

It was so windy up there, I thought my hat was going to blow off! The cairn on the summit which you can see behind me was a Bronze Age burial chamber apparently.

DSC_0433

Martyn doing a bit of a 'I'm the King of the world' type pose at the top. Cute :)

DSC_0418

Feeling pretty pleased with myself.

DSC_0432

DSC_0427
The views from the top are spectacular when it's less misty, we could only see to the one side of the mountain. To the north you can see the town of Brecon. Looking east you can just make out the Sugar Loaf in the far distance too. 

DSC_0456

DSC_0452

Climbing Pen y Fan was the perfect way to spend my Sunday afternoon and it was nice to do something a little different with my boyfriend and explore South Wales more.

Have you ever climbed Pen y Fan? Which peak should I tackle next?

p.s. don't forget to enter my £100 ASOS gift card giveaway

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. Wish I lived near some beautiful high up places to climb! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, it looks lovely in the snow! I climbed it as part of my D of E expedition years ago - I didn't think I'd recognise it from the pictures, but it did look familiar. At D of E we climbed Fan y Big, which was hilarious and very beautiful. It's just along from Pen y Fan isn't it? It's worth a look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow - snow snow snow :) I keep forgetting about how beautiful Brecon is - this is on my list of places to go and have a mini adventure :)

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. perfect day out for you and the little one, can take it in stages or go a little of the way up xx

      Delete
  4. I love that feeling of having accomplished something like that when during it you're thinking whyyyyy am I doing this! I'd love to explore more of Wales it's such a beautiful place
    Kerry x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos! I love the one of your view from the top. You've made me want to go for a walk now, although I'm not sure my local park will quite measure up...

    Liz xx

    Distract Me Now Please

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww Gemma! What an achievement! I love walking, but haven't ever tried this peak so will have to add it to my list. I love a good National Trust walk, and good walking boots are an absolute must! <3 Claire @ Jazzpad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! add it to the list and then come to Wales and I can do it with you :) x

      Delete
  7. Wow I bet the view was worth braving the cold!! Some lovely pictures there :) xx

    Kate's Product of the Week - Primark Owl Tweezers

    ReplyDelete
  8. woo hoo weldone you such fabulous pics and a great achievement xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always go to such beautiful places! xx


    http://www.putmeinapartydress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow look at that view! Well done you, great achievement! Andrea - http://www.lifewithliv.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. The view looks beautiful! I can't wait to do things like this once it turns warm

    Love Emma xx

    www.collagemepretty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing view, bet that was totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to do this very very soon! looks so beautiful. congrats on getting to the top x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.