Grenoble - Day 1

By Gem - 06:50:00

I'm currently enjoying a bit of downtime in my friends apartment in Grenoble before heading out to Lyon later today so I thought I would share some photos from my first day in France. My friend Meg is currently living and working here so I'm visiting with another friend Emma. I'm very lucky to have friends all over the UK and the rest of the world which means I get to visit a lot of exciting places.

We initially set out to hitch a rid on the pods to the top of the Bastille to take in the views of Grenoble and the alps but they were out of order. We had to clamber up 3km of steep steps and ramps to get to the top but I think you will agree the views were worth it.

a picture of Grenoble

a picture of Grenoble and the Alps

We have some lovely mountains in Wales but these are a rather special. Can't wait to head up on Saturday and frolic in the snow.

DSC_0416

DSC_0428

Grenoble looking particularly beautiful. 

a picture of Grenoble

DSC_0437

On the way back down from the Bastille we discovered the church of St. Laurent. It's a Romanesque church of the twelfth century. It has a sixth century crypt which makes it a unique archaeological site in France. It was also a Benedictine monastery at one point which was of huge interest to me as my dissertation was about monastic life.

DSC_0449

a picture of a stained glass window

After a day of walking we headed to La Fondue for a cheesy treat in the evening. I  ate soooo much cheese. I don't want to see cheese again for a month.

a picture of cheese fondue

I'm off to enjoy the rest of my trip now.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. Oh wow, that cheese fondue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks like such a beautiful place, you're so so lucky! xx

    http://putmeinapartydress.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Grenoble is beautiful and that church is jaw dropping!

    Maria xxx

    P.S. There's no such thing as too much cheese ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my God, that cheese was obscene but in a good way. Must have been a block each mmmm

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful place! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the photos are lovely, it looks amazing! Hope you had fun in Lyon! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really was lovely. Lyon tired me out but was beautiful x

      Delete
  6. These photos are stunning. It looks amazing and I am drooling over that cheese fondue! I became a little addicted when I went skiing last year and bought my husband a fondue set for his birthday. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the fondue but can't have melted cheese again for aaages now. Might do a chocolate fondue...

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my lord - that cheese looks amazing.

    As do the rest of your snaps, lucky girl! xxx

    Ps. definitely didn't just comment on my work account haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.