A Big Catch Up - July 2016

By Gem - 21:26:00

It's been a tad quiet here the past few weeks because I've been doing boring things like overtime in work and working late shifts but I've also been super busy doing exciting things and seeing some wonderful plays and musicals. 

The thing I'm most excited to talk about is The Cursed Child. Unsurprisingly, the first round of tickets for the play sold out last October faster than you can say stupefy but my friend is always amazing when it comes to getting tickets so we were lucky enough to see the play during the previews. The story picks up 19 years after the end of the original series of books, with Harry working at the Ministry of Magic, now a father of three. Harry struggles with his past and his son Albus finds it difficult to live in the shadow of his father and his famous legacy.  

I'm going to #KeepTheSecret and not spoilt the plot of anyone but I can say it was bloody fantastic. I've never seen anything quite like it in terms of staging and the crew did a wonderful job creating magic on stage. There were a few moments that made the audience gasp and I felt like the whole thing passed me by in a blink of an eye because it was so enjoyable. If you're going to see the play or thinking of getting tickets you will need to dedicate a whole day to it. The play comes in two parts both around 2 hours 40 minutes in length with a two hour break in the middle. 

I adored Scorpius and Albus and it was great to see some of my favourite characters return. I don't think the plot will please all the Potter fans but as the events happen after the book series I guess you could pretend it didn't happen and enjoy it as a play in its own right if it isn't to your taste. I'm going to try and get tickets to see it again at the end of next year so I can take it all in properly and maybe sit closer to the stage so I can try and figure out how they created all the visual effects.


I've also managed to fit in another trip to London to see Les Miserables with my mum for her birthday. I listen to the original cast recording of Les Mis constantly and I've read the (huge) book and obsessed over the movie so I was well overdue a visit to see it in the West End. It really didn't disappoint and the actors who portrayed Valjean and Enjorlas were stand out members of the cast. I've not stopped singing Red and Black since seeing the show. I've already planned another trip to see Les Mis and Dreamgirls on the same day in the new year. I also saw Billy Elliot in the beautiful Millennium Centre and I cried when Billy's dad was called a scab and thought it really was a top notch, West End level of performance. It's touring across the UK at the moment so I would highly recommend seeing it if it's in your area. 

I also had my first proper girls night out in about two years, drank too much gin and danced to the new Britney track which I love (has a Zayn - Pillowtalk vibe). I've also made a real start on the wedding plans and been to view some venues like Chapel (photo below). I'm finding the whole process a tad stressful at the moment and it would be a lot more fun if I had 20k to spend but being on a budget means  I have to haggle and weigh up what's really important to me and Martyn. 

Viewing some potential wedding reception venues also prompted me to do a trial run of my wedding cake which needs a bit of practice and finesse as my first attempt was a bit sloppy but incredibly tasty.  I also got some lovely new dining rooms chairs as a early birthday present from Martyn and spruced up the dining room with plants which I will inevitably kill by overwatering them.


Being rather busy has meant that I've missed out on a lot of blog reading recently so if you've come across a great post or want to share one of your own please leave me a link in the comments. 

That's us all caught up, I'll be spending the rest of the week in work in front of the fan trying not to melt and drinking loads of iced coffee. 



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

15 comments

  1. OMG I am a) jealous about The Cursed Child but b) Your practice cake Gemma... That is not sloppy! You are so talented!! Hope you are well x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) Want to get the cream a bit more stiff next time so it doesn't ooze xx

      Delete
  2. I'd love to see The Cursed Child, although I'm worried I'd be disappointed. The Chapel looks like a lovely place to catch up with friends x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SO want to see the cursed child...you lucky thing you!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean about besting busy and forgetting to blog. I'm super jealous about the cursed child! So so lucky! That cake looks amazing too x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow your cake looks amazing!! Well done for making it as I can imagine wedding planning is super stressful without adding a cake to it :)

    www.sparklesatmidnight.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to see The Cursed Child, I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it! I love the idea of it following on from the books, and thanks for not including any spoilers! I'm hoping to get my Mum tickets for her birthday so we can go down to London with my brother :)

    Jess xo | The Indigo Hours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are signed up to Pottermore they release tickets there which might give you a good chance of getting good seats :) xx

      Delete
  7. Wow I'm so jealous you saw The Cursed Child, I wish I could get tickets! Great round up post - feel free to link it up to my Monthly Loves linky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you're so lucky! I'd love to take my Mum to watch that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Cursed Child sounds so good and the perfect reason for not blogging that much lately is living and doing all these exciting things, also love how your house is looking - those chairs and the Dino poster - love it

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) can't believe we got a set of 4 chairs for £60 in BHF shpo. Bargain x

      Delete
  10. Argh, I really want to see The Cursed Child! You've whet my appetite even more! I saw Les Mis back in May after knowing nothing at all about it beforehand, and thought it was absolutely brilliant :) Your cake is fabulous and so lovely and colourful :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So jealous of you guys being able to nab preview tickets to The Cursed Child - I'm hoping to be lucky enough to get soon at some point and totally agree - if I don't like it, it never happened ;)

    Your theatre trips and girls night sounds so needed after being so busy (I hear you about blogging having to take a backseat when time is tight) and your potential venue and yummy cake look lush!

    Thanks for sharing,

    Leigh at Fashion Du Jour LDN x
    www.fashiondujour.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. That cake does look very tasty! It is great to hear you are baking your own. I look forward to seeing what you make for the big day (if you share on here).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.