#GetUpAndGo - Covent Garden, Emirates Cable Car and Fat Tire Bike Tour.

By Gem - 13:30:00

Travelodge might not necessarily be a hotel that you would first think of when booking a couple's weekend away but my recent stay in the Covent Garden hotel was very enjoyable. It was the perfect base and was an enabler for me to get out and explore and enjoy the hotel locale. London hotels don't come cheap and when I was planning my trip away it really had an impact on how long I could stay and what I could afford to do. Staying at a more budget friendly hotel can mean you have extra cash to eat out or spend on tours and attractions.

The chain has undergone a £57 million refurbishment programme that has completely transformed the look and feel of more than 30,000 of its rooms in just 18 months. The new Travelodge room includes an upgraded new luxury king size bed, a stylish new colour palette, a larger desk, new carpet, artwork above the bed and a white contemporary en-suite bathroom.



Martyn and I felt that we had everything we needed in our room. There was plenty of under bed storage for suitcases, tea making facilities, two sets of double glazing to keep out the noise of London traffic and blackout blinds which meant I enjoyed a long lie in on my city break which was a rare treat for me.
Kids under 16 stay free in the room with adults and checkout is at midday which is a lot later than most hotels. The only thing I would have liked that they didn't provide is a left luggage facility but you can lock up bags at train stations in London so it's not too inconvenient.

The hotel was in the perfect location and just a five minute walk from Holborn Tube station and five minutes away from Covent Garden. We headed to the London Transport Musuem on our first day which I've already shared with you and on the second day of our trip we went on a bike tour and down to Greenwich to see all the sights.



I highly recommend the Fat Tire bike tour, it was only a few stops away from our hotel on the Central line, departing from outside Queensway station twice a day. It was just under 4 hours long with a break for refreshments half way through. It was the perfect tour for someone new to cycling like myself because we mainly rode through the royal parks. We took in all the major sights and I thought the tour was a really good alternative to those expensive open top bus tours. The tour is normally £20 each but because we travelled to London on a FGW train we got 2 for 1 tickets (so many bargains to be had via this scheme)


Our tour had a Royal theme and we stopped off at lots of palaces, Westminster and various monuments on the way.I'll definitely be booking on of their other tours on my next trip to London.


We managed to eat loads of lovely food on our trip including tasty burgers and shakes in Covent Garden. I tried Shake Shack for the first time and loved the fries and shake but the burger wasn't up to Bleeker St, Byron or Five Guys standard.We also went to see Richard III with Martin Freeman playing the title character. I loved the play and Gina McKee put in an excellent performance but I wasn't overly fond of the staging.


I would also recommend a 'flight' on the Emirates Air Line cable car. You can pay for the trip with your oyster card and get spectacular views of the city from heights of 90 metres as you travel between Greenwich Peninsula and the Royal Docks.





I really enjoyed my trip to London using the Travelodge as a base to #GetUpAndGo. I took hundreds of photos so still have a few posts to share about my trip. I've got the the travelling bug now and can't wait for my weekend away in Bath next month.

*hotel stay was provided by Travelodge

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. I always stay in Travelodges when we're in London - don't understand why people pay hundreds of pounds for a bed for the night when they've got the option of somewhere a fraction of the price and just as nice! They're tons better than EasyHotels and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hotel looks lovely and is in such a great location. It seems like you had an amazing time in London x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a fantastic little break! Those cable cars look seriously scary though, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep seeing those Fat Tire Bike Tours around, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like you has an awesome day. I am terrible on a bike i always end up riding into things haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely did a bit of that, my bag fell off the rack on the back at one point and I rolled into someone on a Boris bike oops x

      Delete
  6. Ah the cable cars are so much fun aren't they? I'm a sucker for a good view!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hubby and I are going up to the Transport Museum after seeing your post. Also going to have a look at the Poppies at the Tower and I'm thinking that the cable car looks fun! xx Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy that you liked my recommendation. If you travel to London by train make sure you search for vouchers before you go, there are some great discounts for the transport museum and lots of other attractions. Let me know how your trip goes :)

      Delete
  8. Love getting dizzy staring down from cable cars! Glad you had an awesome time - excited for you to be visiting bath!

    xoxo

    www.awonderingstar.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stayed in a Travelodge recently and really liked it!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow looks like you had an amazing time- the last time we stayed in Travelodge which was earlier this year we were also in a new revamped room and were really impressed with it - simple, stylish, clean and everything you need - the Covent Garden one looks great

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE Travelodges, they are like a home away from home for me :)

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you spend a great time here! London is very beautiful city and there are so many places to visit and see.
    Nice and clean London

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.