Travel - Zell am See - Austria

By Gem - 22:42:00


I don't typically like to visit the same place more than once on holiday as there are so many places I want to tick off my 'to visit' list but I made an exception for Austria. Zell am See and Kaprun are primarily known as ski resorts in the winter but they make a great summer holiday destination too. Even though we visited the same region last year there was still plenty of things to explore in Zell am See and the surrounding areas so we didn't end up repeating everything we did previously. 

Zell am See is one of the most scenic and well-loved lakes and mountains resorts in Austria. Located, directly on the shores of the beautiful Lake Zell, it is also close to the Hohe Tauern National Park and the magnificent Grossglockner mountain region. Most of Zell am See’s medieval centre is traffic-free with plenty of little shops and cafés to visit. There are magnificent walks accessed by cable car on the Schmittenhöhe mountain, and the resort offers a wide range of sporty activities and lake cruises. Just a short drive away is the pretty mountain village of Kaprun is an ideal place for walking and cycling, with year round skiing on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier. We spent our holiday using the town of Zell an See as a base and headed out to the surrounding areas like Kaprun and got the train to Innsbruck for the day(post to follow about Innsbruck, it was beautiful!)



It really is beautiful in Austria (photo is of the Kitzsteinhorn glacier). I'm thinking about putting Austria on my possible honeymoon European road trip destination list. I keep finding myself scrolling through my holiday photos and sighing, as lovely as the mountains are here in Wales they just can't beat the beauty of the Alps.



There is plenty do do around the lake including cycle tracks, lidos and pretty churches to discover.  Schloss Prielau is located in idyllic grounds, just 200 metres from the north shore of Lake Zell. The former residence of writer Hugo von Hofmannsthal’s family was first documented in 1425. Since 1980, Schloss Prielau has been owned by the Porsche family, who converted it into a country hotel 



If you've visiting Zell am See I recommend heading to Mitterberghof  for the best views of the lake but make sure your car can deal with steep inclines and has a good handbrake (long story, saw my life flash before my eyes). 

For a more detailed post about what you can see and do in the area head to my round up post from last year. Writing this has made me miss Austria so so much and not just because my supply of Austrian chocolate and soft drinks has run out. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. This looks so beautiful, I think I need to visit!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austria looks absolutely breathtaking! Looks like you had such a nice time!

    Grace x

    www.gracebee.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photos, it looks like an amazing trip! I went to Austria in 2009 to see a friend in Tyrol but I'd love to see more of the country. Yet another destination to add to my ever-growing list!

    Liz x
    Distract Me Now Please

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to Austria and wouldn't even have thought of it to visit, but these pictures look fab x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree about not visiting a place more than once because there is so much of the world to see but Austria is special and so beautiful! Your pictures are stunning and really want me to visit this country again

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.