Library Colloquium- Gregynog

By Gem - 22:55:00

I was very lucky today, I attended the residential colloquium at Gregynog. It's held every year for IT and library staff who work at universities in Wales to discuss recent developments and to exchange experiences.
I have visited once before in 2008 when I was an undergraduate for a medieval history conference, it was great so I couldn't wait to go back.
Lots of universities will be charging 9k tuition fees next year and I'm really keen to know what we can do to improve our services and make it worth the student fees, it was all very interesting and there were lots of discussions!

Gregynog is a lovely country hall not far from Newtown in mid-Wales. Numerous halls have occupied the site since the 12th century and the house was donated to the University of Wales in 1963 by the art-collectors Margaret and Gwendoline Davies (who donated lots of art by the Impressionists to the museum in Cardiff)
The Davies sisters bought the hall after World War I and launched the Gregynog Press, printing fine limited edition books in both English and Welsh.

Here are some of my photos from the day-






Isn't it lovely there? The gardens are grade 1 listed and I really want to stay for a night next year because the colloquium lasts all week. Have you visited any nice places recently? xx

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. I want a library just like that! I'm really looking forward to visiting Colby Woodland Garden and Margam Park if the nice weather keeps up :)
    Beth @ Wildflower Verge
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah that place is beautiful. I love libraries like that, very romantic imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a PhD student in English literature, I love all of his. It's all just so damn charming. Stupid North America. Everything is new here and not nearly as pretty. Not to mention there's nothing like a British garden! Lovely. So jealous! www.curvycanadian.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. the library is amazing!
    i want a library :')
    Rosie xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, it looks stunning! And how fun must have been meeting all the people and discussing the future of the libraries! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am jealous! It looks like a lovely place too, great idea for Welsh uni libraries to all get together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The gardens are gorgeous and wow, that library is amazing! My dream is to have a room like that in my house one day :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, it looks amazing! You look lovely too bb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow gorgeous photography! it's absolutely beautiful, especially in the first photo :) you might want to check out my blog giveaway, closes today! ronan x

    ronanronanronan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks lovely I love all of those books! :D

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks like such a gorgeous place, just look at the library! you look lovely too xx
    Ella @ Belle Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  12. The building looks lovely and I love your picture of the corridor and the ladder.

    Ahh you're going too? I'm so nervous, the thought of walking up to a gorup of people and saying "err hello" frightens me.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That place look beautiful!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.