Amsterdam

By Gem - 15:37:00

I've got a serious case of post holiday blues! I've just got back from a wonderful holiday in Amsterdam with some of my best friends and I'm more than a little sad to be back home and back in work. I had planned to see and do loads of things but the weather was too good to be stuck indoors or queueing for museums so I spent most of my time in the lovely parks and eating my own body weight in waffles and ice cream.

My friend Jack lives in Amsterdam with his partner and has been doing an internship there for a few months so I was really excited to catch up with him. (He has his own website about his film making here)
We were also there to celebrate Craig's birthday in style and I think Amsterdam was the perfect place to do that. we went to a club called NYX that had a DJ in the loos (a tad insane) for his birthday which seemed like the cool place to be.

Most people have already made up their mind about Amsterdam before they arrive and yes, there are a lot of Brits there for stag do's and it does have seedy areas but Amsterdam is really pretty and I managed to have a relaxing holiday there.

IMG_1917

Obligatory photo of a bike and canal
 
IMG_1949

Elio, Me, Craig and Meg (not looking too happy) in Nieuwemarkt after eating waffles. I don't think I can ever look at another waffle... I'm wearing my new favourite t-shirt that I picked up in Monki. I wasn't particularly stylish on my trip, it was all about comfort and it was so hot I just wore my lightest t-shirt. I was going to take boots but I'm glad I didn't because they wouldn't have been much use on cobbles or when I was on my bike. I wore my comfy white Converse most of the weekend. Stick to flat shoes and comfy clothes, nobody is super dressed up in Amsterdam.
 
IMG_1941

IMG_1951

IMG_1953

Vondelpark - My new favourite place ever... might be an exaggeration because I still love Manchester.

IMG_1964

IMG_1965

We hired bikes to get around the city and feel like locals. It was around 15 euros for 24 hours but you can get one for cheaper if you are happy to cycle backwards to break but I wanted traditional breaks because I'm not a very experienced cyclist. Isn't she a beaut? really didn't want to hand her back in. I think hiring a bike is probably the best thing you could do in Amsterdam, so much quicker and easier to get around and if you're only there for a weekend you get to see the whole city.

922754_10151562138791897_1360751387_n

946248_10151562137051897_2073448601_n

Picnicking in Westerpark. Seriously, all I did was eat on this trip. I can highly recommend Burger Bar, they have about three stores and you can get a tasty burger, fries and a drink for under 10 Euros. Amsterdam can be a tad expensive but I found it so much cheaper than Paris.
 
IMG_1914

Jack lived in the Jewish Quarter in Amsterdam with the Jewish Historical Museum and Rembrant's House Museum close by. There is also the pretty good Waterlooplein Flea Market in that area which runs Monday - Friday 9.00 am - 5.30 pm; Saturday: 8.30 am –5.30 pm. It's a great place to pick up records, second hand clothes and souvenirs. I can highly recommend the Lunchcafe Waterloo if you're in the area. They do some great sandwiches, and meat/egg dishes and the best iced coffee I've had in a long time.

amsterdam

Beer, food and hanging out with Jack was a great combination.

I definitely want to return to Amsterdam and visit some of the more touristy attractions. It's the best holiday I've had in a while and made a nice change from visiting Paris and Manchester. I don't have too much time to dwell on Amsterdam memories because I'm off to London tomorrow for the David Bowie is exhibition and to see Cold War Kids in the night. So excited!


Amsterdam playlist:
HAIM - Falling (Duke Dumont Remix) -
Daft Punk – Get Lucky - Lykke Li - I Follow Rivers


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

15 comments

  1. Been to Amsterdam countless times, I absolutely love the place! It's not all about the weed and I think people realise that once they get there, things are just so laid-back and in the sun wandering round is just perfect. Vondelpark is my favourite place, so nice to sit and people watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! so much to see and do there, I want to go back and maybe get the train to another town or city next time x

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a great time.i loved Amsterdam, it was great in the winter but I'd love a summer trip there too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely lovely! I ♥ Amsterdam! Your pix take me back to my trip :) Great post.

    beautyaddixion.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun! We're currently deciding between Amsterdam, Berlin and Stockholm for a long weekend in a month or two, waffles are definitely tempting me to Amsterdam! Hx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the waffles are worth it, the country has a bad reputation for food but I ate out there and it was all lovely x

      Delete
  5. Looks like such a cool place to go I'd love to visit x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, it always sounds like a great place to visit and I love your photos - glad you had a lovely time, Gem! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Char, well worth a visit. Some nice shoe shops there for you too ;)

      Delete
  7. I looks like you had a lovely time!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. N'awww looks like a lovely trip! It looks a little like Berlin actually, and those waffles sound dreamy! ♥ Claire at Jazzpad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did have a Berlin feel actually, such a lovely place!

      Delete
  9. Lovely pics Gem, Amsterdam is one of my fave places ever! And what a gorgeous bunch you are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like a fab trip Gem! That bike is darling, such a great tip about hiring the bike. If I am ever to visit Amsterdam in the near future I will be doing this! Fab friends and food xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love a bike there, the lanes are great so it isn't stressful at all. You could even hire a bike with a basket on the front too xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.