All art is unstable - Trip to London

By Gem - 12:15:00

“...Its meaning is not necessarily that implied by the author. There is no authoritative voice. There are only multiple readings.” - David Bowie

On Thursday I went to the David Bowie is exhibition at the V&A in London and was more that a little blown away. It drew from Bowie’s personal archives and over 300 objects were selected to try and show what shaped David Bowie and how he has shaped modern culture. I am a pretty big Bowie fan so I was always going to love this exhibition but I think any music fan could go along and appreciate how important a figure he is. It was very multi-disciplinary with art from Andy Warhol, Fritz Lang movie posters, press from moon landings and fashion creations from the likes of McQueen.  I also got to learn a few new fact about Bowie, he had a tiny 26½ inch waist and his one eye is permanently dilated after a playground fight as a child.

david bowie is, byron burger, cold war kids
(photo of the exhibition is fro the V&A site, you're not allowed to take photos inside)

My fun wasn't over for the day because after the V&A I went to Byron in Earls Court for a burger and some amazing courgette fries before heading over to the Forum in Kentish Town to see Cold War Kids. Pretty much my ideal day. I booked everything, printed all the tickets and left one thing to my friend, book the gig tickets. They did book the gig tickets but then proceeded to forget to pack them...(if you're reading this, I'm booking everything next time ;) haha ) luckily the nice lady at the Forum box office printed two more off for us and we were allowed in. Phew.

We got up early the next day and headed to The Breakfast Club after a recommendation from Liv and a few other very helpful people on twitter.

IMG_1988

IMG_1987

IMG_1986

Me and Josh both went for the the All American with pancakes, eggs, sausage, home-style fried potatoes, streaky bacon and maple syrup mmm. I had a strawberry milkshake too because I had to make sure I had the strength for a day of shopping and walking around London (not because I'm greedy, obviously...) I would definitely come back again and maybe try the pancakes with berries or a burger in the evening. 

IMG_1985

I manged to pick up a few Morrissey records at Old Spitalfields Market before heading over to Portobello Road to hunt down some second hand bargains.

IMG_1990

Can I live in this house please? First I need to get a job that pays £100k a year or marry a rock star...
 
IMG_1992

IMG_1995

My family would never forgive me if I returned home from a trip with out some sweet treats so I picked up some black bottom and red velvet cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery.

IMG_1996

I wore my new playsuit around London on Friday which was a great choice because it was so warm. I did pair it with my biker jacket and a light scarf but they ended up in my bag all day. It was £26 in River Island and it would be great for holidays or festivals because it's so light. It comes in a few different prints too. 

river island playsuit

Playsuit: River Island
Necklace: Gift
Shoes c/o Spartoo: Boots by Blink

So after nearly two weeks off work and a hell of a lot of fun I have to head back to the library and help all those pesky students print things off for their deadlines and track down books they desperately need, sigh.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. Ah what a good trip. I am going to have to see how long this Bowie exhibition is on, as my Mum would love it, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's on until August but sold out. You can buy day tickets in the morning I think.

      Delete
  2. Oh man I'm starving after looking at those pictures from the Breakfast Club.

    Also I just want to dive into those books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Breakfast Club! I found out that my nan used to work on the road of that branch in the 30s as a seamstress. I took photos of the street for her and she was amazed that it wasn't the grotty bombed disaster it used to be!
    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Argh I'm so jealous of your Bowieness - my friends and I are desperate to go but it went and sold out in a nanosecond! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Gem this sounds like a absolutely perfect day in London. Sad we couldn't meet up!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your playsuit looks so cute =)

    heartattack-andwine.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Jealous you went to the david bowie exhibition! Did you also see the movie costume exhibit last year, it was amaaaaaaaazing. Really cute playsuit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking wonderful. I love seeing posts on London, everytime I see something new, such a special place. That exhibition looks amazing!! Glad you had a wonderful time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I was so tempted to get lobster like you did the last time you were there but I don't have enough time, on my list though xx

      Delete
  9. What a fab sounded break :) I need to try the breakfast club, the food looks good!
    Love your play suit. Looks great. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really want to go back for the pancakes with berries now mmm You would love it there x

      Delete
  10. everything about this trip is brilliant. the v&a, bowie, breakfast, vinyl, gig, old books! looks like an awesome time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was perfect, so sad to come back!

      Delete
  11. Lol at the pesky students! :-)
    I work at a University and thankfully our pesky students will be gone in a couple of weeks! We're so looking forward to it in my office... :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like you had a great time!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Burgers and Bowie? What a combination. Really wanted to go to this exhib but I think tickets are sold out now blah :( xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best combo ever! There are still some day tickets though so worth trying to get some if you are in town for an event xx

      Delete
  14. This sounds like pretty much perfection for you! Wish I could have made it to that exhibition, it sounds amazing!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. You always have the best adventures Gem. Always.
    The Bowie exhibition sounds and looks fantastic xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Next time you're in town and looking for a burger, you should DEFINITELY head to Patty&Bun. best meat burger I've ever had. Seriously. Not that Byron is not good. But oh my days patty&bun.

    Sounds like you had a lovely time though =)

    Teffy || Teffys Perks Blog

    Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.