Gugelhupf Cake Recipe

By Gem - 16:46:00



Gugelhupf Cake

This is one of my favourite treats and reminds me of my holidays in Zell am See and Innsbruck with my husband. Served both in cafés and Austrian homes, Gugelhupf cake is an absolute classic. There are also sweet raisin-filled yeast bread versions of this cake but the marbled one is equally as delicious.

this is a picture of gugelhupf cake dusted with icing sugar


You will need
  • 170g unsalted butter
  • 4 eggs, separated
  • 330g  plain flour
  • 170ml milk
  • 330g icing sugar (plus a little extra to decorate)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla sugar
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 3 tsp cocoa
Instructions
  • Preheat your oven to 170°C  and coat the bundt cake tin with plenty of melted butter.
  • Whisk the butter with the egg yolk until foamy, add all the icing sugar, and stir until creamy. Add vanilla extract or sugar (sachets of vanilla sugar are very common in Austria and Germany but I've never seen them here)
  • Beat the egg whites until stiff. Sift together the flour and baking powder. Mix half of the flour into the butter mixture and combine. Add the milk, combine, then add remainder of the flour. gently fold in the egg whites.
  • Pour roughly half of this mixture into the cake tin. Add cocoa to the rest and mix. Pour the darker batter on top of the lighter one into the tin.
  • Drag the handle of a wooden spoon or a fork through the batter and wave it around to achieve the marbled look.
  • Bake for 50 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes on a cool rack, then take the cake out of the pan. Dust with icing sugar before serving.



    If you have a go at baking this please tag me in any photos you share, I would love to see.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. I have not heard of this cake before, but it sounds amazing I need to give this a try

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this cake before on Pinterest but never made it. I do have a bundt tin so should try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was much easier than I thought and I could get all the ingredients during the current situation :) Hope you do give it a go

      Delete
  3. What a delicious looking cake this is and would love to have this with a cuppa tea. The cake shape is so beautiful as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I've only made a bundt style cake once, well twice because the first was a flop! If we can get hold of all the ingredients I'll try this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of this cake before but it looks and sounds super tasty

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a showstopper cake and it would make the perfect centre piece for any celebration! We could do with one like that for VE Day today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made one before bit found it hard to get out of the tin so I used LOADS of butter to grease the tin this time

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks stunning!! I bet it tastes really nice...Ooo I could just eat a slice of this right now x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This cake looks lovely and do tasty and delicious . I love marbling in cakes it looks pretty .

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like an amazing cake, but HUGE! I imagine that it would serve quite a few people

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.