Kimchi fried rice - Kimchi-bokkeumbap 볶음밥

By Gem - 21:54:00


I'm always inspired by my friends Instagram story cook-alongs (I'm looking at you Sophie) but end up eating the same handful of meals on repeat.  I've got a lot more time to cook now that I'm currently working from home and cutting out my daily commute so no excuse not to try some more adventurous dishes.

I've attempted to cook kimchi fried rice for friends a few times but the recipe I'm sharing here is my favourite version. Kimchi fried rice (Bokkeumbap) is a popular Korean fried rice dish that is a great way to use leftovers and provides a super quick and comforting meal. This Korean recipe takes only 20 mins to make from prep to dinner table, ideal for a midweek treat. 

This dish is easy to customise and I've made it with less chilli flakes for friends who don't like things as hot as I do. You can also swap out the pork for tofu, spam or bacon and drop the egg and swap the kimchi for a vegan variety.


Serves: 2
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins 

You will need:
  • 115 grams kimchi, chopped (I used this one)
  • 3 tablespoons of kimchi juice 
  • 2 teaspoons gochugaru (chilli flakes)
  • 1 teaspoon gochujang 
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce 
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil 
  • 2 servings cooked rice (day old is best) 
  • 115 grams pork belly 
  • 2 Spring onions (finely chopped) 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped  
Directions
  • Cook chopped pork belly in frying pan until slightly browned  
  • Add half of the spring onion and all of the kimchi and cook on high heat 
  • Mix the kimchi juice, garlic, gochujang, gochugaru, sesame oil and soy sauce together  
  • Add the rice and mixed ingredients to the pan and reduce heat to medium
  • Stir until everything is well incorporated and the clumps of rice are broken up, cook for 3 to 4 minutes. 
  • Top with a lovely, runny fried egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds and remaining onions to serve.

    I've also made a recipe card for those who like to print and save these kinds of things 😊
This is a photo of kimcho fried rice with an egg on top

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

19 comments

  1. I've never tried kimchi before, but my brother speaks very highly of it as a chef! I need to try some recipes with it in, like this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fabulously tasty dish. I had something similar in a restaurant last year and it never occurred to me I could make it. I will need to look on my next shop to see if our local store has all the ingredients they normally have a good range of items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't get the chilli paste in my local Tesco but a bigger one had it in the world food aisle :) You can get it on Amazon too.

      Delete
  3. I've eaten kimchi rice a few times but never made it - Thank you for the recipe I think I'll try this as soon as I can get the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One you have the paste and chilli they last for aaages and I've made this so many times now. The paste is a bit of a staple in Korean food and I just got a Korean cookbook so I think I'll get good use from it :)

      Delete
  4. We've never tried this kind of rice and love the look of it, especially with the egg on top! Going to try making it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely delicious! I might have to give it a try myself whilst we are at home and cooking more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not heard of kimchi before but it looks tasty. I am after new lunch recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a spicy, fermented cabbage dish (radish is also used) with Korean flavors – garlic, ginger & chilies. Very tasty and good for your digestive health.

      Delete
  7. This looks great. I had kimchi last year when I was in South Korea. Korean food tastes great

    ReplyDelete
  8. KimChi is so healthy and important for the gut, I used to eat this a lot when I lived in Asia but not as much after moving to the UK, I must try making this fried rice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK now this is such a delicious looking meal! I have to smit I am the worst cook but I definitely need to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this looks so nice, but without the pork, as I am a vegetarian. Would make a both a nice breakfast or dinner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many great ways you can vary this dish to suit your needs and tastes, very versatile.

      Delete
  11. Oh I love kimchi and this sounds like something I would thoroughly enjoy. How tasty. Do you ever make your own kimchi? I guess the tasty tastes counteracts the fatty pork belly right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not tried to make my own yet - it's tricky to get the napa cabbage and all the things I need where I live as there isn't a Korean/Asian supermarket close by but when we can travel again I'm definitely going to make my own.

      Oh yes, the pork belly adds a little saltiness and the pungent kimchi cuts through it really well.

      Delete
  12. Yum! Big fan of spring onions too, so would love to try this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh my this dish looks and sounds so good! I love recipes with eggs, you can make so much just being a bit creative :-) Cecilia x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, I haven't tried this before but it looks so good. It reminds me of a dolsot bibimap which I love

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.