My Pet Story

By Gem - 20:57:00





My Pet Story with Petplan - How A Dog Changed My Life

There are many reasons why dogs are known as man's best friend. The moment you welcome a fur baby into your life your world is turned upside down and you grow and change as a person. Even if you don't have a dog yourself I bet some of you are delighted when you meet a dog when you're out walking or when watching a cute dog video online. 
Petplan Pet Insurance have asked me to share my pet story with you so I thought I would share the many benefits my dog Coco has brought to my life. Coco has lived with myself and Martyn for over a year now and I could not imagine life without him. He attended our wedding last year, came on honeymoon with us and is always the focus of our attention. 

I think my dog is the best dog in the world 

Marnie the dog, Boo and Tuna used to be my favourite internet famous dogs but now Coco is undisputed champion of the dog world and I have 20,000 photos of him on my phone which prove this. He can do no wrong and his crooked smile and big expressive eyes melt my heart. 

I'm no longer house proud

I was adamant that Coco would be well trained, sleep in his own bed and all of his things would be stored away neatly. This fell apart after about 2 hours of getting Coco into our home. His toys are strewn all over the living room, I'm always standing on his chew sticks and he is allowed to come into bed for a cuddle. I find it really hard to say no to Coco and he has taken over the house. 

I smile more

When he does something cute, I smile. When he learned how to wait until walkies to go to the toilet I smiled and even when he does something naughty I have to laugh it off and smile. Coco is a fantastic companion and I'm no longer lonely when my husband is on the late shifts and he encourages me to be positive. I do find it hard to smile when I'm scrubbing his wee and sick out of the carpet though, why is Coco never sick on the wooden floor?!

I stay in more 

Martyn and I went out far more frequently before we got Coco. We ate out, went shopping together and had the freedom to go anywhere we liked. Our life has had to change dramatically since we got Coco. We have fewer holidays abroad and have bought a caravan so we can now take him with us wherever we go. We will be going to a dog friendly pub for our anniversary meal later in the month and many historic attractions are off the cards if we want to do things as a group. 

I'm really not a fan of leaving Coco in a crate and I'm more than happy to find alternative attractions where he can come with us and we now make more of beaches and the great outdoors rather than more formal settings like museums. Is he worth it? 100% yes. 

I move more 
Owning a dog can motivate you to exercise every day. In the winter I go to work, come home and put my PJs on but now I have Coco bringing his lead to me or barking at me to go for a walk and I can't say no, even if it's raining or I've had a bad day. Taking your dog for a 30 minute walk every day can greatly improve your health and it really helps me to de-stress. I love to see how happy Coco is when we go for a walk, he looks back at me with a huge grin on his face. 

I fell in love 

Dogs show the most unconditional love and I made a best friend the day we brought Coco home. He's my little shadow and follows me everywhere and I wouldn't have it any other way. 





Petplan want to hear your Pet Stories too, so whether it is a recovery from illness or just their day to day mischief share your story on Petplan’s Facebook or Instagram using #PethoodStories


This post is in conjunction with Petplan but all thoughts are my own.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. Aww how gorgeous is Coco! Haha I love that you soon gave up on the being house proud - yeah that happens with a dog they don't care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coco is gorgeous! Pets really do make everything so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Coco is so gorgeous! Our two kittens are insured with Petplan too, they are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coco is such a cutie, I do miss having a pet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's my partner in crime, I really miss him when I go away for the weekend. If I could take him to work with me I would!

      Delete
  5. You have such a cute dog! I am more of a cat person, and I have had cats all my life. I got a rescue kitten a few months ago who has already taken control over my house, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos you have taken. Your dog is so cute

    ReplyDelete
  7. All my dog ownder friends say the same thing, they smile more and no longer house proud. Because I travel too often don't think I can manage a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable dog! Pet insurance is so important, I couldn't agree more! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww Coco is gorgeous, such lovely photos!Dogs really show unconditional love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm smiling at the comments above about being adamant you wouldn't allow Coco in the bed, and then boom, suddenly he's in every night for cuddles. I was exactly the same with my cats LOL x

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute is Coco! I can see why he was quickly the boss of the house.
    I would love a dog but work and would feel awful leaving one at home all day alone. We have lots of friends with them though so can always borrow one for pup cuddles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, Coco is just gorgeous. We have PetPlan for our two lionhead bunnies. It's so important to care for you're pets as they really are one of the family :)

    Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aawww he is just adorable! I love dogs but at the moment our pets are two cats who are fab too. Kaz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness!!! How cute is Coco! My brother loves his dog loads too, so I can totally see how he's changed your life. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.