A Guide to Holiday Travelling in Style

By Gem - 19:16:00


It is easy to assume that when travelling, you must disregard all sense of fashion and style in lieu of comfort and ease. I believe that you can find a balance between the two. I obsess over the smallest details before I travel and even have holiday planning folders and lists of things to pack. Attention to detail before travelling means I'm not rushing around on the day of travel and have time to think about what to wear and styling an outfit that I will be both comfortable and confident in when I'm travelling.

After selecting your chosen holiday location, the excitement of organising your holiday wardrobe can take over. I bought a pair of Minnie ears for my upcoming trip to Disneyworld before getting my ESTA (visa for travel) Not very practical! I've got cute themed outfits for each day but no comfortable clothes to journey in. I'm planning on wearing a jersey dress with a pair of comfy trainers and a lot of layers. After all, travelling between countries and continents does mean differing temperatures. My upcoming trip to Innsbruck will see me leave a relatively mild UK for a snow-covered Austria and my trip to the US will mean a huge jump in temperatures so I need to be prepared for the sudden change in climate when I step off the plane.





Without wanting to scare anyone sandals are not an ideal choice of footwear for a flight. In the unlikely event of an emergency, it’s best to have a good set of sturdy shoes that will protect your feet. For my trip to Innsbruck I'll be wearing my walking boots on the plane as they will take up a lot of valuable space in my hand luggage only flight. With only a small amount of space for city breaks I like to be comfortable enough for sitting on a place for several hours but also pulled-together enough so that when we deplane I'm ready to hit the ground running and start exploring. 


As with preparing any outfit, attention to detail is paramount. Looking at the different accessories when travelling, however, is even more important. Going through airports is stressful enough, without having to worry about your expensive watch getting lost or misplacing your favourite pair of sunglasses. So, limiting the number of items you carry on your person is probably a good idea. I tend to pack most of my accessories in the bag I check in. I've lost countless memory cards and belts by emptying my bag at the security check in at the airport. 

Travelling in style means looking your best for the circumstance, including smart matching suitcases or a sturdy backpack.  I like to pick practical bags which can be wiped down if there is a spill and try to buy items that look luxurious yet can withstand the trials of travels and different weather. A leather wash bag is ideal and I also have plastic wallets for my camera batteries and chargers so they are safe from the rain. My oil cloth backpack comes everywhere with me and doesn't get tatty or grubby, ideal for hand luggage on a weekend break. 




Preparing for travel in style means a stress-free journey, allowing for you to take in the different sights or even shop at the airport duty-free, instead of worrying about your next move. A helpful way of overcoming this is to get your documents and itineraries ready and put them away in a memorable, but safe, place. I've normally got a folder with maps, tickets and reservations all in one place. I know a lot of you will use apps and scan barcode tickets but I like to have everything printed out just in case my phone has no battery. 





Ultimately, you should be focusing on the exciting destination at the end of the travel! I find that detailed planning and preparation may seem unnecessary but it removes a lot of the stress of travelling. Planning allows me to be cool, calm and collected on the day of travel. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. Oo I love that Disney Planner - organisation is the key to a stress-free holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, I hate arriving at a destination and being overwhelmed by choices.

      Delete
  2. Such a handy guide. I travel a lot so I think I've got the items I take with me down to a fine art now. I love your wash bag

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great post - I absolutely LOVE the idea of the Disney planner - I would love to go back myself one day, perhaps I'll make up a planner in the hopes I can haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore your Disney planner, we've never been to Disney hopefully we'll make it there one time! You sound exactly like me, I love a good holiday list and planning out what exactly I'm packing and wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to pack the less is more, so colours that can go together to make 2-3 outfits with little accessories are more my style but I think it’s good you’ve planned them Out. Having your folders in one place not only makes you feel better but helps and I love that idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, interchangeable and multi use items could help save on space and baggage fees.

      Delete
  6. I always prepare my travel, so a folder is a great way to store all the must have schedules and paperwork x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so organised. I always try to take enough warm clothes as I get so cold on planes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an excellent post. I read your blog. You write a very good article with helpful information. Thanks for this guide.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Planning for a holiday is not a simple task.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.