Wahaca - Summer Menu Market Treats #YearOfTheTaco

By Gem - 23:46:00



This is a photo of Wahaca anco chicken taco

This is a picture of cornbread with a cheese dip

This is a picture of the bar area of Cardiff Wahaca


This is a picture of devon crab tostado with avocado and relish topping

For 2016 Wahaca are celebrating their absolute favourite handheld flavour hit, the humble taco. I haven't visited the Cardiff Wahaca store since its opening so I thought it would be the perfect time to visit as the menu has been updated for the summer with a brand new selection of tacos inspired by the beaches of Baja.

I'm sure most of you will be aware of Wahaca. There's more than 17 across London and they now have restaurants spreading across the UK in destinations like Brighton and Liverpool. If you haven't heard of it before Wahaca is the brain-child of Masterchef winner Thomasina Miers and offers laid-back tapas-style Mexican street food. At the start of our visit the waiter explained that the best way to order is to choose 2-3 small plates per person and share them out amongst the table.

It was a gloriously sunny day in Cardiff so I wanted to try lots of fresh, summery items off the menu and opted for the summer specials which are a chorizo and cheese taco and a crab tostada and shared these with Martyn. The chorizo was sweet and delicious and Martyn and I both enjoyed our first taste of crab. The crab is from Devon and it's great to know items on the menu are sourced in the UK.

Once we had a little more time to peruse the menu we ordered some ancho chicken tacos, cornbread and scallop and shrimp ceviche.

A classic Yucatecan ceviche was served with fresh orange & lime cured fish, diced cucumber & fresh summer herbs, served with crisp tostadas. This felt pretty indulgent as I would never serve scallops at home and was light and fresh. 

The toasted cornbread was accompanied with chipotle honey butter and whipped goats cheese. I love it, it was very subtle after so many mini dishes with varying flavours. It felt more like eating a cake (it looks like lemon drizzle) which worked out well because there was no way I was going to be able to eat dessert as I was so full but I was tempted by the churros. 

I really enjoyed my visit to Wahaca and I can't wait to see what's on the specials menu next time I visit. 


Our food & first round of drinks were complimentary All opinions are my own

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. this is such a beautiful interior! and the food looks amazing! definitely place to be, dine and relax!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Tapas and Thomasina was definitely my fave masterchef winner so I would love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh wow, the food looks delicious! I don't think there is a Wahaca near where i live but i wish there was! xo

    http://rachelnicole.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I love Wahaca, and their tacos are my fave. Lovely photos too!


    Milly | Mini Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to go back to Wahaca - I went to the Cardiff one not long after it opened and it was quite disappointing, possibly because it was so busy. Maybe it'll be better now it's calmed down a bit!

    Emma / adventures in floral

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks incredible, I have never been to Wahaca so this needs to change!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.