Life Lately - Birthday update

By Gem - 08:30:00

I celebrated my birthday last Tuesday with a lot less fuss that I normally do. Birthdays just aren't as exciting as you get older and I'm not really a fan of big nights out anymore. I followed Hollie's lead and baked my own cake this year (a bit less visually appealing than Hollie's though) so I got exactly what I wanted. I like simple cakes but I'm not a fan of shop bought ones so I made a basic sponge with a cream cheese frosting and a colourful surprise inside.

I was very lucky this year when it comes to gifts and I got a beautiful rose bush from Martyn's sister and Martyn bought me a bike so we can go for rides together and improve our fitness. I've been going to yoga and the gym and I'm hoping a bit of cycling will compliment that.

  
I had to work on my birthday this year so I tried to do it in style and treated myself to the Boden Nancy dress that I've wanted for ages and paired it with my favourite Mel Heart shoes which I've ordered in the navy blue too. Is having the same pair of shoes in four colours excessive? 


I got to see the premiere of the new Doctor Who episode, the first one to feature Peter Capaldi on Thursday at the premiere in St David's Hall. There was a red carpet and a Q&A with the cast after. It was the effect way to spend a morning for a Whovian like myself. I'm not going to share any spoilers but I did shed a tear at one point and Capaldi was brilliant. Make sure you watch it on the 23rd!

My birthday week was rounded off with a big shindig at my friend Oonagh's parents house in Monmouth. There was a BBQ, home brew, dancing and plenty of cake baked by Oonagh. Oonagh has been away in the Arctic doing a research expedition and I haven't seen her for a long time so it was nice to hang out with her and have lots of my favourite people all in one place.


I hope that you've been having a lovely time too, what have you been up to? Please leave some links so I can have a good snoop at your days out.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

25 comments

  1. Looks like a rather fab few days and I'm glad you had a lovely birthday = you look great in that bike / Nancy picture and I love the fact you have the same shoes in lots of colours - nothing wrong with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Char, been out for a ride a few times on it now. I knew you wouldn't have a problem with the shoe thing ;) xx

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday again darling! Looks like a lovely week with lovely people, the best way to celebrate :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! Cake+Sookie+loved ones=all I need xx

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you have been having a great time and that cake - wow! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can never have too many Mel shoes Gem! So glad you had a lovely birthday.
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday Gem! Sounds like you've had an awesome birthday week. Your cake looks so good & I'm rather jealous of your new bike even though I actually can't ride one haha. Love the Mel shoes too xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like u had a fab few days. happy belated birthday the cake looks yummy
    http://www.joannavictoria.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also made my own cake, definitely the way forward! Yours looks awesome. I've been on a few summer holiday adventures, I posted some photos of Bath the other dayhttp://distractmenowplease.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/bath.html

    Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday for last week! Your cake looks beautiful and I love the dress!

    Rachael at broomfie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated birthday, sounds like you had a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were a lucky girl indeed! Martyn nailed it with that cute bike, and I adore that dress on you!
    Enter the Two Hearts One Roof August Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated B-day
    these pics are so beautiful
    Kisses
    Maggie D.
    The Indian Savage diary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated birthday Gemma from everyone at Grayling

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Belated Birthday! It sounds like you had an amazing week and the cake you made looks amazing! Please post the recipe! Alice xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice, it was just a basic sponge recipe with cream cheese frosting. I added some gal colours. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1997/classic-victoria-sandwich I used 300g because I had 3 layers xx

      Delete
  14. OH MY GOD. You got to see the premiere?! You got to see Peter Capaldi?! So jealous right now.
    I have a not so secret weird crush on him. It's strange but I don't care hehehe.
    Stunningly Inept

    ReplyDelete
  15. happy belated birthday! that cake looks ace. excited for dr who!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy belated birthday! The cake looks amazing! I'm seriously thinking about getting a bike too so would love to know how you get on!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow looks like you had a lovely birthday - and I love the cake you made (and checked out Hollies one too - amazing) You have the best BF ever buying you a bike!!! I have been eyeing out that Boden dress as well - I love the print

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he is pretty bloody lovely :) He bought one too so we can go out together xx

      Delete
  18. Hi Gemma, I've been absent for a while now. But I really like your sweet blog. I think it is really heartfelt and personal. Birthdays are always a special :) I'm sure you had a great one :) keep in touch x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. I try and share but not over share if you know what I mean? x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.