Grey Topshop Midi Dress

By Gem - 22:55:00



I bought this really basic grey dress from Topshop yesterday and I'm really excited to start wearing it. I think I will get a lot of wear out of this dress. It was a little pricey at £29 for a jersey dress but I tried on the H&M and Dorothy Perkins equivalents and they just did not look as good. I went for the midi length which is a little scary because I don't own anything else this length. (also first time I've been able to shop in Topshop for about 5 years, big step for me. Had to try five things on to make sure I really did fit in a 16)



I have come up with a few ideas of how to wear this dress, let me know what you think and how you would style it!




I thought this would be a good way to wear the dress to work. The black jacket means it is smart enough for meetings, the satchel is big enough for my diary, lunch and paperwork and the shoes are a fun colour. I'm loving the neon colours in stores at the moment and I think introducing them in accessories is a good way to include them in your outfit without looking like a lollipop lady!





This is more of a weekend/gig look, I ordered this jacket today from the Topshop website. It had a lot of good reviews so I hope it doesn't disappoint. I'm still obsessed with leopard print so this scarf was a natural choice, I have leopard print everything else so I've got a feeling that I will be adding this to my collection. I thought these Dr Martens, floral embossed boots from Spartoo would be the right shoes to create a early 90s look. I'm in love with everything from that era and wish I was born a few years earlier so I could have seen all my favourite bands play (before they had a reunion in their 40s)




I think this is how I will wear the dress in summer on my days off, pulled in at the waist with a nice brown leather belt and with sandals. I am on the lookout for a really nice denim jacket in my local charity shops at the moment, I want a light cropped one. I haven't owned a denim jacked since the dark double denim days of my early teens, they still remind me of B*Witched! I think the bag and necklace are really cute and spring/summer like. Most of my bags are black so this Ted Baker one would make a nice change.


p.s. I will be doing a post about Cardiff events on the weekend so if you are organising anything please let me know and I will include it.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

19 comments

  1. I love this dress, and can't wait to see how you style it! Think it would look great with the leather jacket :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the outfit suggestions you've created, it'd look gorgeous with the blazer or leather jacket and perfect with the denim jacket in summer! :)

    Caroline x
    carolinescatwalk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all congrats on your weight loss! Doesn't it just feel amazing when you fit into that smaller size? :) That dress is really nice (I know what you mean about the h&m equivalent - it's just not the same!) my favourite is the second outfit you put together for it, right up my street ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best feeling ever :) I ordered the Topshop biker jacket, can't wait for it to arrive! x

      Delete
  4. love this dress & its ability to look amazing with everything! i had to get the petite one because the midi would've drowned me. kinda defeats the point of a midi dress but oh well haha. all these suggestions sound great to me. i really want a neon cambridge satchel, the pink one is divine! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sigh wish I could afford one, I want my initials on it too. I was thinking of buying something for myself when I get to -5 stone and this might be the perfect thing :) xx

      Delete
  5. B*witched were amazing! 'I blame it on the weatherman!' Haha! I have seen the similar one in Dorothy perkins and really like its simplicity xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Standing on the shore, calling out your name..' haha I had both albums! xx

      Delete
  6. Love all these looks - this dress is so versatile!
    I definitely still feel a bit B*witched in denim jackets too. Loved them when I was a kid =) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this dress, I keep seeing it but can't justify the price tag :( x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know that feeling! I haven't been in topshop forever honestly I get so put off by some of the things in the window! lol

    dp
    x

    www.inanityandthegirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't owned a denim jacket since my teen pop days either! I love that Ted Baker bag, it's gorgeous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that Midi dress. I have been eyeing it up myself lately. Love the cambridge satchel. I already have one, but definitely want more! xx
    Ella @ Belle Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore that dress and if I could fit in it, I'd own it! I really like the style suggestions you've come up with, I think that I'd probably have mostly suggested similar sorts of looks!

    The only other ways I think this would look fab is with a massive oversized cardi, high-top converses and some edgy jewellery....I think it definitely lends itself well to that sort of look....or I'd wear a ladylike striped cardigan, flat ballet shoes and a pop of red in a scarf to do a sort of Breton chic type of look. I actually could think of more ways to wear this dress but then I'd start boring you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ah dark double denim - I remember you well! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the dress and the outfits you picked, lovely :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE this dress, I can't wait to see how you wear it!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love this dress! im seeing it a lot on blogs ans recently saw it and picked it up in store. Totally versatile, love your ideas for it! And its sooo lovely to "meet" another welsh blogger, im also from south wales!! :D
    Rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've worn it a few times now, love it! If you are from south Wales you should come to the next cdfblogs meeting :) xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.