Wedding Preparations

By Gem - 08:00:00

When Martyn proposed back in December 2015 I started to plan an extravagant festival style wedding in my head straight away and bought a dress for the big day shortly after. We bought our first home within three months of the engagement and all the focus swiftly shifted to what colour the carpet would be in the living room and furnishing the house and my focus drifted away from the wedding. 

With just 240 days until the wedding I thought I had better get my backside into gear and actually start getting all the essentials in place like booking the ceremony venue, giving notice and printing invitations. I'm now in full on planning mode, pinning everything in sight and jotting down all my ideas in my wedding planner I picked up in Paperchase. 


My initial fantasy wedding ideas have been tamed a little as I have a tight budget and would prefer to spend money on my home rather than just one day. Martyn and I have decided to opt for a wedding in Cardiff and I hope it will have a chic, modern feel and it will be pretty intimate with around 60 people attending in total. 


As part of my preparations for the wedding I had a good google trying to find out other brides top tips about pre-wedding beauty routines and how I can look my best on my wedding day. I won't be doing any fad diets, getting botox or a fake tan but I do want my skin to look as good as possible and for my hair to be healthy and shiny. I just want to be me but radiant, not a new person or set my self up to fail with unachievable goals.

I have always had problem skin (adult acne is pretty rubbish) so I want to do all I can to get to grips with it before the wedding and to have confidence in how I look on my wedding day. After reading so many wonderful things about the La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo Anti-Blemish Cream I had to try it. I've been using it for two weeks now and it has already reduced redness and marks along my jawline where I typically see breakout in spots so I'm suitably impressed. 

I'm also going to take some simple steps to improve my skin such as being super strict about removing my make up every night, exfoliating my face and body a couple of times a week and applying plenty of moisturiser. I've also started drinking green tea for it's antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which I hope will help brighten the skin and reduce acne. Lots of the steps I'm taking are incredibly simple and obvious but I've never really been one to pamper myself or get any beauty treatments so the wedding is the perfect excuse to start focusing on myself and fix all the things that have been bothering me for a long time.



I work odd shifts so don't really have the time to get a professional manicure but I have started to apply a nail strengthening polish so I have neat and presentable nails. I don't want any photos wearing my wedding band with the state my nails are in currently...


Unfortunately, I was one of the teenagers that over-plucked their eyebrows (why did we think this was a good idea in the early 2000s?!) and I have a large scar in my right brow where I needed stitches after a nasty fall as a child. I've been reading up about Advanced Tricho Pigmentation Treatment as an option for improving the appearance of my brows. The treatment can be used to achieve full-looking eyebrows and help to disguise any scarring in the brow area. Rather than a tattoo or tint the pigment builds upon existing eyebrows for a defined and fuller look. I've been playing around with brown pencils, powders and tints for a long time and hope to have my brows perfected before the big day. 

In the UK, sunlight doesn't contain enough UVB radiation in October to early March for our skin to be able to make vitamin D. During these months we need to get vitamin D from foods or supplements. Vitamin D helps to maintain healthy bones and teeth and studies have shown it can help with conditions like depression and joint pains.


If you have any skincare tips or know of any useful wedding resources please feel free to share them in the comment section below. 



SaveSave

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Congratulations! Think many forget that it is one day. House would be more important and exciting in many ways, as it's a continual reminder of new future. Nail envy is amazing - they have it in nice colours too. Swear by it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article! I also suffer from adult acne so I will definitely try that cream. Thx

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a makeup artist i can give you some good bridal makeup tips. Always go with a look you like and one you feel comfortable in. Most importantly is your foundation. As there will be a professional photographer present i recommend using a foundation that has no spf in it, as spf will cause flashback in your photos and make you look very very pale. NARS Sheer Glow foundation has no spf and it's a great one for photography makeup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh thank you, I always wear DoubleWear and that comes up so white in photos so need to experiment with other foundations before the big day.

      Delete
  4. I had monthly microdermabrasion sessions leading up to my wedding and they really helped x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how exciting! It will soon by here as time is flying by. Good luck with all the preparations. Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! How exciting!! Sorry I don't have any tips, but I just want to say I hope it's an amazing day! Also I love your wedding planner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so much more organised than me! I haven't thought about most of this stuff (apart from trying to get my acne under control). I will definitely be looking into Nail Envy as the state of my nails at the moment is appalling, they break as soon as I look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a gander at Carolin Hiron's skincare regime, my skin has much more of a glow to it following her steps despite the fact that it should be super dry thanks to Roaccutane.

    In terms of make up, I used EL's Double Wear when I got married and thankfully didn't experience any ghosting. Also, there's always the option of acrylic nails if you're not happy with your own by the time the big day comes around, I had one put on for my wedding as I completely split my thumb nail the day before!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are going to be the most beautiful bride!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.