Wendy the Aberporth Express

By Gem - 11:33:00



You might have seen me mention my love for trains on this blog in posts about steam railways and the Transport museum or over on twitter before. I love industrial history and the railway was an important factor in that and has shaped the UK we know today. I highly recommend watching Great British Railway Journeys if you haven't already. My holiday accommodation on my recent holiday in West Wales was ideal for someone like me who adores trains and it was pretty unusual so I thought I would share some images from my stay at Wendy the Aberporth Express.


Wendy is the sole surviving carrriage of her type. She was built in 1908 as a LSWR  (London & South Western Railway) Sleeping Car for the Plymouth-Waterloo 'boat train', with seven single and two double compartments, a lavatory and a compartment for the attendant. The train was timed to line up with passenger sailings from Plymouth. She was sold to GWR (Great Western Railway) in 1911 and converted to 8 single, and 1 double in 1919. In December 1931 she was retired from use, and in 1936 she was purchased from GWR delivered to Aberporth where she has rested ever since.

Her original neighbours at Aberporth were carriages from Queen Victoria's own train but one has since been removed to a museum, though other historic carriages can still be seen on the coastal footpath. She is painted in GWR colours and lots of original detail remains including the side corridor past the bedrooms.


Wendy has its own 'dining car'.




There were lots of cute little details like old advertising signs, railway posters and luggage racks in the bedrooms. I did enjoy asking Martyn if he had a valid ticket to be on board.




Even though it was a bit chilly and early March I took tea out on the veranda. Wendy is located on a foot path with panoramic views of the Ceredigion Heritage Coast so it's the perfect place to sit back and relax and take in the views. 




Wendy is located in the small village of Aberporth. It used to be a active port and one of the main centres of the herring fishing industry in Wales. It's now a very pretty coastal village with a Blue Flag status beach. Bottlenose dolphins are seen frequently close to shore and there were lots of sightings mentioned in the guestbook at Wendy even though we weren't lucky enough to spot any.




I wish I had booked a longer stay in Wendy, four nights just wasn't enough. I would love to return in the summer but high season prices can be a little steep but worth it for somewhere as unique as this.


If you want to book a stay at Wendy you can do it via Under The Thatch or Airbnb.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Ah I do love somewhere a bit quirky. This looks like so much fun Gem!
    Sophie
    x

    Story Of A Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my GAAAAAAAAHD this is amazing! I love that you kept asking Martin for a ticket too, I'd totally do this. I'm guessing you've been to the Railway Museum in York, but if you haven't, get there pronto. It's ace.
    Cx
    charliedistracted.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so incredible!! What a setting, and the interior is such a perfect spot for some outfit posts. Thanks for sharing, I am seriously tempted!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should book, you and your partner would love it! Bit pricey in high season but great for a spring break x

      Delete
  4. That looks amazing!!!!! I'd love to stay there :)

    Georgina
    Mummy Pixie

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet is that! What an amazing idea for a weekend away xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen camp coaches before, they look really fun. The one you stayed in looks super cozy too x

    themakeupjunkiesdiary.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! I love it! (on a train related note - have your read Belles and Whistles? It's a really interesting history of British trains - honestly interesting!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I haven't, I'll have to get my hands on a copy :)

      Delete
  8. This looks lovely and perfect for you!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.