Apple crumble Recipe

By Gem - 15:11:00

Moving away from home has meant that I now do all the cooking for myself and my partner and I'm missing all my home comforts and the things that my mum used to cook for me. McCarthy & Stone Independent Living set me a challenge of making something that reminded me of home and there are few dishes as homely as a freshly baked apple pie with custard.

I wanted to make the ultimate version of the apple pie but it all seemed like a lot of effort so I asked my mum for her recipe which I grew up eating and it was surprised at how simple it was. The apples are not pre-cooked and you just pop the crumble mixture on top and bake it. It can't be any easier than this and it's a firm favourite in my house. I used to go picking wild berries with my mum as a child and we would add these to the crumble too for an extra sharp kick.

a picture of apple crumble

Ingredients


For the crumble

200g plain flour

100g oats
175g brown sugar

200g unsalted butter, cubed at room temperature

Knob of butter for greasing/marg


For the filling

450g apples, peeled, cored and cut into ½in pieces

50g sugar ( I sometimes do a 50/50 mix with splenda to reduce calories in the filling and crumble)
1 pinch of ground cinnamon

Preparation method

  1. Preheat the oven to 180C
  2. Place the flour. oats and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Taking a few cubes of butter at a time rub into the flour mixture. Keep rubbing until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
  3. Place the fruit in a large bowl and sprinkle over the sugar and cinnamon and stir.
  4. Butter a ovenproof dish. Spoon the fruit mixture into the bottom, then sprinkle the crumble mixture on top.
  5. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the crumble is browned.
  6. Serve with thick cream or custard. (I think bright yellow, super thick Birds custard is the best because I grew up eating that stuff)  

I'm definitely missing my mum, brother and the dog Sookie since moving out but I'm also enjoying starting up my own home and  I know that my favourite family dishes will become well loved in my new home.

Look at my coral outfit in Florida circa 1995, I was so cool ;)

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. Ah so pleased you're settling in your new home Gem!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can never go wrong with a good old apple crumble - although I have a very big liking for rhubarb crumble just as much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love apple crumble, though the debate my boyfriend and I always have is between custard or ice cream? I love it with a good vanilla ice cream! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm making rhubarb crumble tomorrow, though I will precook the crumble - it'll be gluten free and that often stays stodgy if not cooked first

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that you're settling in well. The crumble recipe looks delicious x
    www.merrymusing.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, we love crumble here - it is such a home comfort food isn't it! Delicious :)
    www.tangerinecanteen.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like apple crumble myself but I'm sure my dad would love it!

    mezmadeup.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I can't wait til there are apples on the tree at the allotment so I can crumble to my heart's content :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks tasty, it's a home cooked mum thing to make can't totally see why you made it :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.