Our Cardiff Wedding - The Reception

By Gem - 21:25:00

picture of a three tier wedding cake, white with one gold glitter layer and pink ribbon

I had originally wanted an outdoorsy, forest or seaside wedding but anything coastal seemed to come at a premium and getting all my friends and family to a rural location would have been a logistical nightmare. Options closer to home seemed to consist of barns or conference rooms in hotels and neither of those really appealed to me. I started to be come frustrated with the process of finding venues but when I discovered you could have a Sunday ceremony in the National Museum Cardiff my mind focussed on a city wedding with a laid back feel.  (Notice there are a lot of I's there? Martyn is extremely relaxed and let me get on with planning but looked after the transport and liaising with some of the vendors)

We were so lucky to find Chapel 1877 for our wedding reception venue. It is a converted former chapel which is now a restaurant and bar in the heart of Cardiff.  It was an ideal location as it was only 5 minutes away from our ceremony venue and close to hotels for guests that were staying in the city after the reception. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff at Chapel 1877. The team did flowers for the tables, place settings and decorated everything for us. They added extra vegan and vegetarian options to the menu and offered a great value package as we got married outside the peak wedding season and on a Sunday. 

picture of a sweet table at a wedding, glass jars with pink and white sweets

a picture of a cheese tower dressed with figs and grapes


picture of an acrylic wedding talk plan with white chalk text





picture of my first dance at chapel 1877




I was originally going to bake my own cake but decided against it as I didn’t want any last minute stress. I went a little mad and opted for a glittery extravaganza with layers of salted caramel, lemon drizzle and chocolate marble.  I also had a cheese tower cake featuring lots of cheeses from Wales and the south West. I also had a selection of vegan cupcakes and doughnuts. So much for a home baked naked sponge... 

I hit a wedding decoration jackpot in TK Maxx. I found a huge selection of decorations from brands like Ginger Ray in my colour scheme and bought the lot including paper fans and table confetti. As the venue was so ornate I kept decorations simple which meant no last minute DIY decoration stress. I was going to attempt to make my own seating plan but my handwriting is a messy scrawl and I'm not particularly crafty so Lumi event designs were called in at the last minute to create a modern acrylic seating plan which I thought complimented the surroundings.  

After an emotional wedding ceremony, panic about the traffic and a drawn out build up to a 5pm ceremony I had a bit of a crash at the reception. Martyn and I had our meal in a booth on our own and I really valued this time together. I felt incredibly drained and tired during the meal and like I was being pulled in all directions with my mad nan trying to take photos of me once we headed to the bar area after the meal. A quick five minutes alone outside to cool down, have an espresso martini and compose myself made the world of difference and I was able to relax and get into the party mood. 

Our first dance was to The Ramones - Baby, I love you, which we listened to on our long drives to Austria for our holidays and reminded us of our trip to The Ramones museum during our trip to Berlin.

By the time the meal was over, we had cut the cake and had our first dance it was nearly 9.30pm. The whole evening passed by in a flash and is a blur of espresso martinis, cake, a GLC singalong and dancing. I feel truly lucky that Martyn and I were able to have such a perfect day with all of our favourite people. It's a bit of a cliche but the whole day went far too quickly, I barely had time to speak to all the guests and it was exhausting but thoroughly enjoyable.



Suppliers

Venue - Chapel 1877 | Cake - Cardiff Cakery | Cheese - Cheese Pantry
Table Plan - Lumi Event Design | Sweet jars - Home Bargains | Sweet bags - eBay
Vegan cupcakes & doughnuts - Blanche Bakery | Magic Mirror and Love lights - iDoo 

My other wedding posts





SaveSaveSaveSave

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

15 comments

  1. It looks like a truly beautiful day, I love the fact that you managed to carve out time for just the two of you too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful images and I am overwhelmed by your incredible cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, your reception looks fabulous and you looked a million dollars. I especially love the cheese cake, if I did it again I'd have one of those. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, cheese cake is great because it doubles up as nibbles too if you have lots of crackers, pears etc

      Delete
  4. You look beautiful- like a real life princess. Your decor, food & venue look amazing too. I hope you had the most perfect day! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw you looked like a million dollars and as a vegetarian I really applaud that you had so many vegan and vegetarian options. The cheese tower cake looked amazing! Beautiful photos x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the vegan doughnuts were delicious!

      Delete
  6. You look absolutely stunning, so beautiful. Your reception looks like an amazing event - I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!! What gorgeous photos, it looks like you had an amazing time! Everything looks just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. May you both have a long and healthy marriage full of love,laughs and cats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW look at all these wonderful moments captured in the pictures. What an unforgettable day. You looked amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally beautiful! And now all those wonderful memories are saved for forever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looked like a beautiful day! TK Maxx is such a treasure trove. I always spot wedding bits I definitely don't need but want.

    Rachael at broomfie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This could be written about my wedding - we also initially wanted a rural wedding but changed to a city centre one, also got married in a museum and had the reception in a nearby bar, and also had a 5pm ceremony! That last decision is actually something I regret a little bit in retrospect. Although we had lots of good reasons for needing it to be later in the day I'd have loved longer with our guests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snap! The museum could only host us once it closed and I couldn't afford to feed everyone twice. I do wish I had a ceremony at about 2/3pm instead so I had time to chat to everyone.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.