Me Time

By Gem - 18:16:00

How often do we find ourselves thinking "I need more hours in the day" or "I don't have time for that"? 

We lead incredibly busy lives and it seems that in the modern world we never have time for ourselves despite all the time saving technology we have. I find myself becoming increasingly anxious, stressed and tired all of which takes a toll on me mentally and physically and has an impact on both my relationships at work and at home. 

I find that setting aside as little as 15-30 minutes a day of uninterrupted "me" time can be challenging but necessary. "Me" time allows me to de-stress, unwind and recharge. 


"Me"time is not something we should feel guilty about. Time out can help us come back to responsibilities with greater clarity, focus and enjoyment.

A recent spell of ill health including some swelling in my joints and hair loss (a bit scary) has forced me to decide that I need to look after myself and try to reduce the amount of times I let work stress and and all of my commitments overwhelm me. I'm going to try and focus on the following things:

I deserve time to myself. I can't give my all if I'm not relaxed and in the long run it's better to allow myself some time to unwind so when I am in work or have a task to complete I am fully committed. Guilt can be all consuming so time to let go.


Decide what to do with my "me" time. I used to adore going to Yoga and lifting weights but now I have my dog Coco to look after and my gym buddy has moved away I keep on finding excuses not to go. Jet2.com recently sent me a care package including a yoga mat and yoga book which means I've got no excuse to not set aside 15 minutes a few times a week to stretch away my stresses. 


Evaluate activities that are a waste of time.  I check my work emails at home, I constantly refresh social media feeds and watch far too much catch up TV when my husband is working shifts and I'm at home on my own. I have installed apps on my phone to limit my time on facebook/twitter/instagram, picked up a few new books and some papering skin care treats. 


Learn to say "no". I need to say no to things that don't bring me joy, say no to tasks I don't have time to complete and say no to overtime unless the team really needs my help or I need the money - 37.5 hours a week is more than enough time to be in work. 

Commit to half an hour of "me" time every day. It could be a nap, a extra long walk with Coco or baking a cake - something I love to do but have only managed twice this year. 



Take time out to see friends and travel. I adore spending time with my new husband and Coco but independence is a good thing and we have different interests. Too much time together or giving up activities you love may lead to relationship stress so I'm keen to protect my independence and would encourage my husband to also take some time out for himself too. Some time apart really makes me grateful for the time I have with Martyn and I missed him terribly on my recent trip to France with my friends. I did have a wonderful time away and just a week after returning I'm already searching for some summer sun on jet2holidays and a planning a relaxing UK cottage break by the sea. 



I hope that dedicating a little bit of time to myself will make a huge difference to my health and happiness. 


*pampering and wellness hamper gifted by jet2.com, all opinions & words my own

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. You can't beat a walk in the countryside to make you feel better.
    Great list of me time activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me time is incredibly important. I like to take to my bath for me time, or go for a long walk

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing better than a walk in the countryside this time of year. I love that print on your mantlepiece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's from We Built This City.

      Delete
  4. This is such a great reminder that we realy do need to treat ourselves!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.