Spring Adventures with Coco in Cardiff

By Gem - 20:44:00


Introducing our Shih Tzu Coco to the family has honestly been the best move Martyn and I have ever made. Forget buying the house, getting a puppy has been so rewarding. Shih Tzu means little lion, but there’s nothing fierce about Coco (unless he's hungry) The Shih Tzu was bred purely to be a lap  dog and companion rather than a hunter. Coco is affectionate and the perfect furry friend but he's very stubborn and is going to need some training. 

To introduce Coco to the world and get him used to the sights and sounds of a busy city Martyn and I took him for a day out in Bute park in Cardiff city centre where there are lots of people, other dogs going for a walk and bikes rushing past. We had the perfect spring weather to wander around the park and let Coco explore the herbaceous border with its beautiful flowers. Coco got so much attention and we were stopped every few yards by people wanting to pick him up and pet him. 

this is a picture of a small shah tzu puppy on a lead


For our spring adventure I wore my new floral playsuit from Boohoo.com, they have a great selection of playsuits and jumpsuits at the moment and it's perfect for running around after the dog and a spot of afternoon tea. Most of my pins on my denim jacket are gifts from Martyn and music related - a couple of Smiths pins and a Brand New one.

Floral Playsuit - c/o boohoo 
Jacket - New Look

This is a picture of a collection of enamel pins

this is a picture of a enamel pin with smiths lyrics

this is a picture of the herbaceous border in bute park

Bute Park is 130 acres of landscaped gardens and parkland that once formed the grounds of Cardiff Castle. The park is named after the 3rd Marquess of Bute, whose family owned the castle and made their fortune developing the ports in Cardiff to export coal. It's a pretty vast park and I spent a lot of time here as a student as my halls of residence backed on to the park. It was the perfect spot got revision and a post exam picnic. 

There aren't many places you can sit down and eat in the city when you have a dog but Pettigrew Tea Rooms is a great spot with a puppy friendly outdoor terrace. Pettigrew vintage-style tea room is located in the historic West Lodge building on Castle Street. You can relax and indulge in the pleasure of taking tea in sophisticated surroundings inside the lodge, or like we did, sit outside on the terrace area with views over the river Taff.

this is a picture of a male shah tzu puppy


this is a picture of a scone and a cup of tea

Whilst Martyn and I polished off huge scones and a scruptious selection of sandwiches and cakes washed down with assam tea Coco behaved beautifully. He sat next to me the whole time and let me eat in peace, I don't think he's discovered the joy of human food yet and doesn't beg for for at the table. 

This is a picture of cardiff castle

This is a picture of purple flowers in full bloom

I think our first adventure with Coco was very successful and we all thoroughly enjoyed our day out organised by boohoo.com. I'm trying to find more dog friendly places to visit in South Wales, if you've got any recommendations please let me know. Shih Tzu dogs only need two 20 minute walks each day so we won't be taking him for a hike up Pen y Fan but it would be nice to discover some new parks or lakes where we can enjoy a family walk. 



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. OMG your images are so cool, coco is simply adorable and can I nick that jacket? Cardiff sounds super exciting and has never looked as pretty to me as in your post. You have done good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dog is literally the cutest! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG what a little cutie! Coco is absolutely delightful and I'm pleased you had such a good day xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cutie pie!! I'm sure he'd be best pals with Milo in a heartbeat! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwwww! Your Shih Tzu Coco is gorgeous, I am a sucker for cute pets. So glad that you enjoyed your day out with Boohoo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the kind of dog I need, two 20 minute walks sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute little dog and I'm loving your pins

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh he is just adorable! That afternoon tea looks do delicious - what a lovely day you all had. Kaz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh your new dog is SO adorable!! We are desperate to have a dog join our family so hopefully soon! Bute Parks looks beautiful too! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok...I want a Coco of my own and gorgeous Boohoo playsuit too! And Veronica Dearly pins are LIFE right? Sounds like you had a fab day - that doy-friendly afternoon tea sounds glorious too!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Leigh at Fashion Du Jour LDN x

    ReplyDelete
  11. How adorable is Coco?? No wonder you kept getting stopped. Love your outfit, especially the pins. I have a slight pin badge obsession.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coco is adorable! It's making me puppy broody.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that's the sweetest dog, and you look sooo happy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.