A day in Cardiff

By Gem - 17:07:00

I tend to go to Birmingham and London to hang out with my blogger mates so it made a nice change for someone to cross the Severn and let me show off the lovely capital of Wales. I probably should have got up a little earlier rather than having a lie in because we had to cram a lot in to one day but we still managed to take in some of the main sights. I'm so glad we made the most of the sunshine last weekend when Hannah and Steve came to stay with me and Martyn because it's looking rather grey at the moment, we were very lucky with the weather. I took them to my favourite spots, for a bit of record shopping and to see some lovely architecture before the main event at night. The reason for the visit was to see the Manic Street Preachers play one of the best albums ever in its entirety but I'll get to that later on...

Cardiff is home some wonderful Victorian Arcades and indoor market. The Central Market is a Grade II Listed building and is the best place to head for some record shopping and Welsh cakes. 

this is a photo of Cardiff Indoor Market


this is a picture of Kellys Records in Cardiff

Welsh cakes, still warm mmm



We crammed in a whistle stop tour of Cardiff Bay just before the gates opened at the castle for the gig. It's had a huge urban regeneration project which transformed the city’s old docklands. They were originally used to ship coal out from the Valleys but are now a mixture of modern architecture and renovated historic buildings. On the eve of the First World War in 1913, coal exports reached their peak at over 13 million tonnes. At this time the international price of coal was struck in the Coal Exchange building and it was here that the worlds first £1 million pound deal was signed.
We took a look at the Senedd – the Welsh Assembly’s parliament building, the red-brick Pierhead Building and the white wooden Norwegian Church where author Roald Dahl was christened, which is now an arts centre and café.

Cardiff Bay

The bay’s most recognisable building is the Millennium Centre where I've seen musicals, ballet and comedy.
The copper-coloured frontage has a poem by Welsh poet Gwyneth Lewis built into it which is lit up by night. Translated it means “Creating truth like glass from the furnace of inspiration”. You might also find it familiar because lots of Doctor Who and Torchwood was filmed in this area. The bay is also home to the Doctor Who Experience


Cardiff Bay Senedd

After a afternoon of sightseeing we headed to Cardiff castle to watch the Manics. The setting couldn't have been better. It was dry and sunny, in a beautiful castle and they were playing an album that's had a huge impact on me and many other fans, The Holy Bible. I'm from the same town as the Manics so it was hard for me not to grow up aware of their success and musical legacy. It was a really special night for me and hearing 10,000 people sing along to She is Suffering was a pretty odd but beautiful moment.



We went home from the gig and watched it all again because it was shown on BBC2. We got up to lots more touristy things the next day which I'm sure I'll share later this month. I've written a few posts about Cardiff and the rest of Wales which might be worth a look if you're thinking of visiting.

Have you ever been to Cardiff before?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. Ah I;m so excited for my visit to Wales now!
    Sophie
    x
    Story Of A Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. My partner & I have been discussing Cardiff as a possible weekend break destination, and this convinces me: now if we could just get that lovely weather, too, I'd be booking!

    I have a very ambivalent relationship with The Holy Bible. It's one of my favourite albums ever, but listening to it is almost painful. I was a total cliche teenage Manics fan - troubled in all sorts of ways - and listening to the album from a distance of 20 years is an uncomfortable experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's perfect for a short break and if you're here longer you can head to the Brecon Beacons or Gower.

      I feel the same about Holy Bible sometimes. I connect more with GT because that's exactly the album I would have made at that age and growing up in Blackwood meant I longed for some glamour and excitement.

      Delete
  3. Graet pics - looks like you had fun. Sheree xx
    glitzngrime.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been to Cardiff before, did you know? ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha you will have to come again very soon x

      Delete
  5. I really need to visit Wales, can't wait to see you and for you to show me round in a few weeks! :D

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleepover!!!! So excited for you guys to come and stay :) xxx

      Delete
  6. I love Cardiff :) I had a lot of friends there during undergrad so I would come and visit, some of them are still there now! It's such an interesting city and there's so much to do. Although I still need to have a look round the castle and I want to run the half mara there one year....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right, get yourself down to Cardiff. I will be your tour guide :) xx

      Delete
  7. I'm in Cardiff every month, and I particularly love the Bay Area. Have you been to the Dr Who exhibition? Highly recommended

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED it, might pop back now because some of the exhibitions have changed x

      Delete
  8. Wow I love your photo's, I've never been to Cardiff but it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been to Cardiff but I love Wales, so I must pay a visit- plus DOCTOR WHO! Have you seen any filming?x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of filming :) I've met Matt, Peter and David and the record shop I go to was used in Blink. If you're ever in Cardiff look at the #dwsr tag and there might be some filming. They use the theatre and dance hall opposite my mums house a lot for filming like the episodes The Doctor's Daughter and Nightmare in Silver. It's been used for Sherlock and Upstairs, Downstairs too x

      Delete
  10. I love reading posts like this even though I live in Wales. I'm only about 45 minutes away from Cardiff & visit as often as I can but this post has really made me want to fo exploring (: xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.