August Roundup

By Gem - 18:05:00

August has been a really fun month where I have explored new places and tried new things but I've also kept some traditions alive and visited places I like to go each year with some of my favourite people. August is always a very busy month for me because it's when I celebrate my birthday but it seems most of my friends have their birthdays in August too. 

At the start of the month I headed to Berkhamsted with a large group of friends for a weekend of camping in an orchard. We spent our time around a campfire, playing games and exploring the surrounding area to celebrate a friends birthday. I find the history of railways and canals pretty fascinating so I really enjoyed our stroll along the Grand Union Canal which starts in London and ends in Birmingham. It is the longest canal in the UK but competition from the railways and its narrow size meant it was difficult to make it commercially viable in in the early 20th Century.  Our walk through the beautiful Chilterns ended in The Boat where I enjoyed a well earned Pimm's. 

My birthday was spent a little closer to home, I enjoyed a meal with Martyn and my family in Junction 28. Junction 28 has a train themed dining carriage and was the perfect start to my railway themed birthday weekend. I also had a lovely day out at the Severn Valley Railway which you can read about here.


August typically means a trip to Torquay with some of my oldest friends. We have a very British weekend away, staying on a caravan site, paddling in the sea and having ice cream and cream teas. It is always a weekend I can count on to be relaxing, result in side splitting laughter and and leave me feeling revitalised. This years trip to Torquay was no exception. We have been going since 2011 and I hope we are still going in 20 years time. 

this is a picture of Brixham Harbour pebble beach

This is a picture of ice cream in a cone



Birthday month also means lots of cake and I've certainly eaten my fair share this month. I made a sponge and bannoffee pie when hosting dinner with my friends and I also found some time to go back home and visit my dog Sookie. 

Things I've been watching: Great British Bake Off, Brooklyn and Gilmore Girls(always)
Songs I've been listening to: Britney Spears - Make Me, Maccabees - X-Ray (gutted they decided to break up) and Ramin Karimloo - Music of the Night.
What I'm looking forward to: My trip to Bristol to watch Teenage Fanclub and seeing Ian McKellan on stage in No Man's Land.
Items on my 'to buy' list: Smiths pin badge, tickets for Funny Girl and Les Mis in 2017


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. My August was very busy. I have a trip booked to Ireland this September and I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Torquay is just one of the best parts of the UK, sounds like you had a really fantastic month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have an annual trip away with friends. We have a few summer trips that are steadily becoming tradition too x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun month! We don't have any annual getaways aside from visiting my family but I'd love the kids to have a place they go every year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that railway carriage dining carriage sounds so good! We have had such a busy summer - I am sad it is over. Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't been to Torquay before and it looks SO lovely! I live in a seaside city but don't visit the beach too often xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh u had a great August ... Mine was too quite ok ... I would love to have been to beach as u

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a great month! It went by so fast for me, I'm a little bit sad that Summer's over but I'm looking forward to autumn as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That train themed restaurant sounds cool! Looks like you had a good and busy August x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely, happy post! I'm glad that you had such a good birthday month, we also did the British weekend but headed to Cornwall instead it was such good fun. It's my birthday month now so I'm hoping it's half as good! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous pictures!
    My August was fab, been on holidays to Spain, total dream!

    Sandra x
    rustedbones.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you had such a lovely birthday! I love going for long walks along the beach and you definitely can't do it without an ice cream!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.