My weekend in the 'Town of Books' - Hay on Wye

By Gem - 11:30:00

hay on wye

books in hay on wye

hay on wye castle

hay on wye antiques

afternoon tea




Starting a new job, in a new sector with entirely new skills to learn has certainly been a challenge but one that I've enjoyed. I come home from work exhausted from taking in so much information and after nearly three months in the job I decided that I deserved a little break so I booked a weekend in a cottage in my all time favourite town. Hay-on-Wye is a small town of about 1,500 people located in  the Brecon Beacons National Park in SouthWales. It's only about 90 minute drive from my house and I've been many times before. The town is nicknamed “the town of books” and you’ll quickly see why as you walk down the streets. Every single corner of this town is filled with books and bookshops. There are also plenty of antique shops and cafes to visit too. 

After forcing Martyn to look around book shops and antiques for a couple of hours after arriving in the town we headed to the very homely Old Stables Tea Rooms for an obscene amount of cake and plenty of tea. All the staff were friendly, the sponge cake was light and fluffy and the outdoor area was full of cute dogs. The ideal setting for me. 

The rest of the weekend involved lots of chocolate, walking along the Offa's Dyke path, relaxing in a huge bath and reading in a Shepherds hut at the stunning Pond Cottage. We were some of the first people to stay at the cottage which had undergone a total refurbishment. The cottage had everything we needed including a book collection, deep bath and a well appointed kitchen. Drinking prosecco in a bath was exactly what I needed after a long walk and week at work.

I absolutely loved my weekend in Hay-on-Wye, I could have easily stayed there for another few nights. It is right on the Wales/England border so is really accessible for anyone in the Midlands so head to the town soon if you fancy a spot of book shopping and wonderful views of the Brecon Beacons.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I love Hay so much, you've made me want to visit again as soon as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Hay! Such a wonderful place! All my happiest holidays have been in that region! Must go back, haven't been for over a year now! And the Offa's dyke walk is brilliant too!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been to Hay for years... Need to remedy that soon! I'm not sure if Pete would be too keen, although that afternoon tea could be a good way to convince him.

    Liz x
    Distract Me Now Please

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Hay looks gorgeous! So many places I want to explore, anywhere with a large number of bookshops is definitely on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks beautiful, the afternoon tea looks so good :)

    www.lifeinthefashionlanee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely little glimpse into Hay-on-Wye! I love taking weekend getaways and exploring unfamiliar cities, especially finding the unfamiliar in familiar cities! That tower of sweets has me hungry for lunch!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks lovely, the perfect getaway!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think your blog very informative, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, feel free to ask me any questions here or on twitter- @Gemma_DS.